Loss of power and engine stalling

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

It appears to be in a messy state really....from what you say. I know of the AEB recall but the performance problem you have is quite something else.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

parky74

Post by parky74 »

calnorth wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:29 am It appears to be in a messy state really....from what you say. I know of the AEB recall but the performance problem you have is quite something else.
And quite scary. I'm now also a member of a Facebook Qashqai group and someone else on there had the same issue on their brand new 68 plate. Got the update done and it's made a big difference.
Lee.
parky74

Post by parky74 »

Had the updates done today and have to say that as soon as I pulled away from the garage it felt smoother. The hesitence and jerkiness when cornering slow in 2nd gear seems to have gone too. I'll drop another update in in a few days to let you know if it's been a permanent solution.
parky74

Post by parky74 »

2 weeks in and the issue hasn't gone away completely. I'm still finding instances where it feels like the car isn't acknowledging that the accelerator pedal is being pressed at all. It's caught me out a few times when pulling away at roundabouts to the point where it worries me. Is anyone else in the same position and have they found a solution?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Did the dealer mention anything about error codes (DTCs)....I guess not since you haven't mention it.?

Could easily say its a throttle pedal (electrical system) problem but on the other hand it could be a combustion/exhaust problem. Related sensors should pick that up and leave error codes. Thats the place to start and the sensors themselves don't get out of being suspect.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

parky74 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am 2 weeks in and the issue hasn't gone away completely. I'm still finding instances where it feels like the car isn't acknowledging that the accelerator pedal is being pressed at all. It's caught me out a few times when pulling away at roundabouts to the point where it worries me. Is anyone else in the same position and have they found a solution?
I know what you mean Parky,
I sometimes get a reluctant power from throttle feed; pick up is slower; but only find this when car is cold. When it warms up it's responsive and smooth, after-all it is an electronic accelerator. I'm getting used to feeding the power in gradually now; and yes I do need to give it a bit more throttle after pulling away, seem they are quite high geared.
parky74

Post by parky74 »

calnorth wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:11 am Did the dealer mention anything about error codes (DTCs)....I guess not since you haven't mention it.?

Could easily say its a throttle pedal (electrical system) problem but on the other hand it could be a combustion/exhaust problem. Related sensors should pick that up and leave error codes. Thats the place to start and the sensors themselves don't get out of being suspect.
They didn't mention anything about error codes and to be honest I didn't think to ask plus I was in a hurry when I collected it. They just said "everything has been sorted ubder warranty Mr Parkinson".
parky74

Post by parky74 »

Mostyn wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:22 am
parky74 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am 2 weeks in and the issue hasn't gone away completely. I'm still finding instances where it feels like the car isn't acknowledging that the accelerator pedal is being pressed at all. It's caught me out a few times when pulling away at roundabouts to the point where it worries me. Is anyone else in the same position and have they found a solution?
I sometimes get a reluctant power from throttle feed; pick up is slower; but only find this when car is cold. When it warms up it's responsive and smooth, after-all it is an electronic accelerator. I'm getting used to feeding the power in gradually now; and yes I do need to give it a bit more throttle after pulling away, seem they are quite high geared.
I must admit that it is worse when cold. If I press the accelerator while stationary the revs rise but then drop rather than hold. As though I've pressed it and then taken my foot off, but I haven't, it's still pressed. It does seem to get better when the engines warm though.
Mostyn

Post by Mostyn »

parky74 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:01 pm
Mostyn wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:22 am
I must admit that it is worse when cold. If I press the accelerator while stationary the revs rise but then drop rather than hold. As though I've pressed it and then taken my foot off, but I haven't, it's still pressed. It does seem to get better when the engines warm though.
Just reading through some comments on a site that Gloucester posted on here. Bloody Frightening..
https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dpf-diesel-particulate-filter/why-are-diesel-particulate-filter-dpf-issues-becoming-common-place-and-whats-being-done-about-it
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Diesels..DPF....Emissions. So much of it is a bunch of trade offs (complications) that are likely easily capable of biting back.

The revs are controlled apart from the foot pedal by the ECU and its relationship (mapping) to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) device and fuel pump/pressure. There are filters for fuel and air in the way and thats largely it. MAF/Exhaust sensors play their part of course in controlling the instantaneous engine efficiency and compliance with emissions law.

If the dealer has been negligent on checking the breathing of your engine either try a different dealer or moan at Nissan HQ directly.

Old Diesel awkward and dirty...just popping out to war?

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta