Hesitation at Junctions

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
iced_blue
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by iced_blue »

Hi All,

Apologies for writing here but I feel like I may get some useful responses and assistance.

I have a 2018 Renault Kadjar 1.2 Tce Auto with a EDC gearbox (I know It's my fault already..) but I believe the QQ is built with the same engine and gearbox?

I am suffering from an intermittent delay when accelerating from a stop at junctions, this is very intermittent and can be seriously dangerous on busy roundabouts and junctions.

It has been into two different dealers more than 10 times about this issue however no-one seems to be able to solve it and I have complained to Renault UK & RCI Finance who have told me there is no fault (even though the hesitation/delay occured whilst out with a member of one of the dealerships). I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar/same issue in a QQ. I've read a lot on here about the CVT gearbox but I believe it is different?

Thank you all in advance!

m.scott
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by m.scott »

Could be "turbo lag", a delay before the turbo comes in. I had this on my previous QQ. The car started to move away slowly and then all of a sudden the turbo came in and then accelerated quickly. I now have a 1.2 with CVT gearbox and this one is much better. If you put Turbo Lag into the search there has been a number of discussions on this subject.
Last edited by m.scott on Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I think “Turbo Lag” is the Problem, we had a 1,2L QQ with a Manual Box and you had to give it some “Welly” to get it off the line or it just pottered away. We now have the 1,3 L (160PS) with the DCT Box and again using the Revs goes like a rocket. Give it a try more Revs - Dave 😏
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

I think that the gearbox you have is not the same as the CVT fitted to the Qashqai. I had an EDC gearbox on my Peugeot 3008 and that suffered from the same problem you are describing. If you read on the Peugeot forums you will probably find plenty of info about it.
If I am right then you are stuck with it and as far as I know there is no cure so all the tests you have had are correct and there is nothing wrong with your gearbox.
The only solution I found was to adapt my style of driving to suit.

Do you have manual paddles on your steering column. If you do then you can help the problem by using these but basically you will always have the slow pullaway (hesitation). I don't believe it is turbo lag

The problem is that an EDC box has a normal clutch which is operated by motors (not sure if electrical or hydraulic) and it's the time it takes to make the gearchange at low speeds which causes the problem.
QQ/J11B - 2020 1.3 Dig-T 160 DCT N-Connecta , Ink Blue. 19" alloys
Prev. QQ/J11 - 2015 1.2 Dig-T Tekna, Storm White. 19" alloys.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

There is some detail on the EDC box here: (Dual dry clutch and electronics)

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/edc-transmission-automatic-choice-renault-kangoo/

I've seen somewhere in wide musings around Youtube that there is inherent delay in dual clutch engagement and at low speed. This is it...with cruelty built in from Australia: (the low speed story)

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta