start/stop button

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Ratso
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Ratso »

First post - hope it's in the right forum.
Bought a brand new 1.3 tekna+ in September. At least once a week when I try to start the car using the start/stop button nothing happens. No click,lights or warnings. Usually starts on second or third attempt. I know it's not the battery or the key fob batteries. I always have the fob in my right hand trouser pocket not near my mobile phone. Took the car in to the dealership last month who said there were no errors stored but they had "reprogrammed the starter solenoid"? Still carried on happening. Took it back again last week and they said they had found the fault -the key fob! They gave me a new key fob but today it happened again. Am fed up of taking it in as it's a 200 mile round trip . Anyone had similar or could suggest anything?

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

What dealership do you go to?
More info when you go to start it would be ideal, like what actually comes up on the heads up display when you press the start button and this happens?
Does it stay blank
Does the steering lock disengage
Does it show a picture of an ikey moving towards the start button
Does it say press the clutch or brake and press the button
Does the ignition come on first but the engine does not crank?

I know you said no lights but have to clarify nothing happening when you press the button would indicate a fault with the start stop button or the body control module maybe or wiring fault.

Also you cant reprogram the starter solenoid.. a solenoid is a solenoid, you can reprogram the engine control module or the ipdm which operate the starter solenoid but not the solenoid itself.
Ratso
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Ratso »

Thanks for the reply. Problem from week one on the only new car I have ever bought. Purchased from Nissan Chester in September and seen by them twice as I previously posted. Door unlocks no problem. Display says depress clutch and press button which I do. 90% of the time it starts no problem. On the other 10%, absolutely nothing happens - no click ,no attempting to start and nothing on the display to suggest a problem. Usually starts second or third press, but as many as five on one occasion. Mainly happens when I have took the car out, stopped somewhere and then tried to start again. Only twice happened from cold. The stop/start function of the engine works fine at lights etc even after only a mile, so I'm sure the car battery is fine. Tried altering the automatic wing mirror setting after the first visit to the dealer - I used to have it set on door opening but changed it to on engine start. I noticed that when I pressed the start button,and it wouldn't start, the wing mirrors still moved out, so the message is getting to the wing mirrors but not the engine. I'm from an electrical/telecom background and my thoughts are that it's the button itself but was told by the service manager they have never changed a start/stop button before.
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Theres a solenoid external frok the starter motor just behind the battery it has a black rubber cover over it and there 2 13mm nuts in it, have a look see if they are tight.. I've had similar case on a 1.3 dig t quite recently that failed to start..

So when you press the button and it doesnt start the ignition still comes on ?