1.2 Chip tuning

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
luka
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by luka »

Hello,

Is anyone made chip tuning on this engine? Mine is 2018, and I have really good offer for this chip tune model: https://www.chiptuning.com/en/nissan/qa ... ntrol.html

What you think and your opinion, is this worth, this upgrade?

Thank you
Nissan Qashqai, 1.2 dig-t, Tekna+

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Luka, these old posts might be worth a read. I cannot remember a member completing Chip Tuning - Dave 😉

Petrol : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9280&hilit=Chip+tuning#p73592

Diesl : viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9372&p=74164&hilit ... sel#p74164
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
luka

Post by luka »

Well, I thought that someone could have some experience with this engine? Or if he or she could explain some realistic felling, is there is more power in driving? Thanks for links anyway ;-)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

If it was so easy to supposedly extract more power AND more economy, don't you think the manufacturers would be doing it routinely.

You can't have something for nothing - or in this case something for £500!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

luka wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:30 pm Hello,

Is anyone made chip tuning on this engine? Mine is 2018, and I have really good offer for this chip tune model: https://www.chiptuning.com/en/nissan/qa ... ntrol.html

What you think and your opinion, is this worth, this upgrade?

Thank you
If you value your manufacturer guarantee you probably don’t want to do this but good luck if you do
Don’t forget to report back
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
luka

Post by luka »

Well, this is not remap. So it can be removed easily if I don't need it. I will report you definitely
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Luka, this attached article might be worth a read - Dave 😉
This is very complex out here normally, but this type of performance modification has to checked, approved and entered in your vehicle paper.

ECU modification :
Tuning the ECU, which is the onboard computer installed on your car, is, in fact, legal and this is one of the most popular modifications people make to improve the performance of their cars.
The ECU is responsible for measuring the performance of the car and making adjustments based on the driving conditions and measurements it makes. However, the ECU can be tweaked to push more air and more fuel into the engine so that a car has better acceleration.
Once more, this is something which you should only do if you are a professional and you know how this will impact on your driving. These are standard modifications you can make and be well within your right legally, however, there are engine modifications which are prohibited.

This is one example of the type of car modifications which will push up the insurance on your vehicle.!

What are the car modification laws in the UK? : https://reis.co.uk/what-are-the-car-mod ... in-the-uk/

As Gloucester has mentioned the “Guarantee”, if you use Nissan Servicing they could pickup electronically an engine modification during maintenance.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
luka

Post by luka »

Well, I manage to find that this system is "plug and play", vehicle software "map" remain unchanged if you remove system. So, actuality this was reason why I find this system instead real "remap".

So, I am looking for experience, does someone previously had something like that and did it worth it :)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Don't forget to check the insurance implications.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

To be honest , manufacturers spend hundreds of thousands of £ $ Euro on developing such software.
It is always a compromise of some sort.

The 1.2 is a capable engine once it has loosened up .
I was sceptical when I bought mine , but now its a little looser , it revs well and pulls up my test hill with comparable performance to my 1.5 Diesel J11 that I owned before.

So if you go for this device , you will make someone richer , and you will change at least one aspect of the cars character in the ECU - even if a piggy back.

You cant get more power AND more economy at the same time from known physical criteria - IE your engine.

Thus - more power will use more fuel
More economy will use less fuel.

So the map is likely to lean off the mixture at small throttle opening - and make the car quite nasty to drive in traffic , and will inject a lot more fuel at wider throttle openings to give you more power.

Downsides - poor fuel economy - potential for bore damage , possible damage to catalytic converter and an optimised design ruined by someone offering a quick fix.

Up to you in the end.

Oh - and I do map ECU for my own applications on aftermarket ECU for competition use only - IE lots of fuel and an engine design that can handle such fuel quntities