Blocked fuel injector but replace all 4?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Kerry9
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kerry9 »

Intermittent red service warning light blinking even before ignition is turned. When starting up, the light disappears but returns when I switch off the ignition.

I took it to my local garage who plugged it in and said it was a possible faulty or blocked fuel injector, and that if it needed replacing, I'd have to have all 4 replaced costing between £1,500 to £2,000.

The car has only done 38,000 miles over 6 and a half years.

Is the garage right regarding having to replace all 4 injectors even if just one proves to be faulty? Thanks in advance for any steers.

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone will. I don't recall that coming up here before. Try a search - you might find something.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've found this similar unanswered comment from elsewhere:

Qashqai 1.5dci Misfire
07-07-17, 14:23

My 2011 Qashqai 1.5dci started to misfire intermittently and the engine management warning light would come on. Stop and restart would cure it for a while, maybe even a few days. Electronic diagnosis at the trusty local garage (with Nissan experience) identified a blocked injector, said it was likely due to supermarket diesel, replaced it, and added some cleaner to the diesel tank. Shortly afterwards it happened again. The same garage said it could keep happening until all four injectors are replaced. Main Nissan dealer could find nothing and guessed the local garage had cleared the memory during its latest diagnosis, since when the problem had not reccurred. Main dealer also claims this is not a problem they see more than one a year - if I believe them.

I saw on the Forum that gel (from supermarket diesel) in the fuel pump filter is a possible cause of a similar problem. Has anyone any experience or ideas? Replacement of a single injector costs close to £500.

Don't want to change the car if I can avoid it. It does few miles (all long journeys, however: that is not the problem) and has the best combination of space, economy and relaxed driving I can find.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Have you noticed any symptoms other than the warning light?

https://www.micksgarage.com/blog/common ... oblems-fix

Fuel injectors If your engine’s fuel system develops a problem with even one of its injectors the symptoms should be immediately noticeable. They can range from having difficulty in getting the engine to fire upon starting, poor idle where the revs fluctuate or a rougher performance at speed. Other indicators can include a sudden increase in fuel consumption compared to the usual average - or perhaps the vehicle has failed an emissions test. Diagnosing a faulty or poorly performing fuel injector yourself can be done in a number of ways, but it doesn’t guarantee that this is the only fault. One handy way is to start the engine from cold and let it run for a few seconds. Dropping some water onto each exhaust manifold can show if one is not heating up, which can be a sign that the cylinder is not firing correctly. This won’t always be possible due to the often complex layout of some modern engines. Modern diesel engines have very fine injector nozzles that operate under extremely high pressure. Due to this, even very small particles of contaminate can cause issues with fuelling for the engine. In either engine’s case sometimes the injectors can be cleaned by using injector cleaning additives or in worse cases an ultrasonic cleaning process can be used to shift more heavily clogged systems. However, sometimes the injector can be beyond the point of repair and will simply need to be replaced.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

You could try an injector cleaner I suppose - e.g.:

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/ ... cleaner-2/
Kerry9

Post by Kerry9 »

It all came about because when we were driving home the vehicle suddenly went into anti-skid mode unprompted, on a dry road surface. We pulled over, turned off the engine, then waited. On turning on, the red service warning light didn't reappear and the car ran normally, although the anti skid warning light continued to show, and could not be turned off when pressing the anti skid on/off switch. I did a long run on Sunday ( an hour and a half each way) and no warning lights. However, the car was parked nose up on a sloped drive at our friends, and on leaving, the car turned over but wouldn't start. I popped the bonnet and operated the spherical rubber fuel pump top left, and it then started. The following morning the red service warning light was back.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

You likely have DTC error codes(s) stored. Retrieving such code(s) might inform. Otherwise guesswork is rather intense.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
BeckyG
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by BeckyG »

Hi All! Sorry to hijack this thread but I can't for the life of me figure out how to start one 🤦🏻‍♀️

Never mind I figured it out 🤣