TPMS - what am I missing?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Nabi
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Nabi »

Hi guys! I'm new here. Got here from Google because of a TPMS error - I guess.

I have the exact same error as this one: viewtopic.php?t=11620

BUT! I have had that error for 2 years. For me it's not an issue that the TPMS doesn't work since I always do a check on my car every week, but now I wanted it to work.

The problem is that 5 minutes after I start the engine, the light flashes and the tire pressure doesn't show anymore. Before the 5 minutes, it does show how much pressure there's in all four tires. But then it dissappears.

I read that it might be the battery inside of the sensor (1 or all of them??) that's dying, so just now I went online to order a new sensor, but then it hit me: I changed from winter to sommer tires today, and the issue was the same. Besides that, on my winter tires I even tried to remove the sensor in one of the tire and put in a normal valve, but it was the issue.

Right now I don't believe it's the sensor inside of the tire that's at fault. No way all of a sudden I have 8 tires with the same problem. So to my topic: What am I missing? Does the pressure get calculated by anything else than the sensor inside of the tire? Because no matter which tire i put on, there's an error as if it's the car itself.

The summer tires I put on today is 5 months old. I don't have a scanner to check the sensor, but I can not believe I have 8 tires with the same error, and now, with the new one, 12 tires with the same error.

Can anyone help clarify? Thank you!

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

I'd get a new sensor fitted to the wheel that seems to be causeing you the problems. Any decent garage can fit that for you .
Gel

Post by Gel »

TPMS not working is an MOT fail too.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Nabi

Post by Nabi »

"I'd get a new sensor fitted to the wheel that seems to be causeing you the problems"

So you think I have 12 tires with the same error?
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

I've had 2 TPMS issues, 1 was with the sensor battery giving up on one of the sensors (ie old age, and yes, each sensor has its own battery).

The other was due to a bad wire/connection on the offside rear ABS sensor, only after fixing that issue did the coincidental 'bad read' of the pressure go away.

I would say 'miscellaneous electrical issue' rather than issues with all the sensors, and for that you would then question the battery. Is that worth checking?
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)