Dashcam battery drain

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
s0Vicky
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by s0Vicky »

I have came accros a very weird problem. It is that the dashcam does not go completly off and stays on parking monitor mode on all the time. I have used in in my previous Juke and once the engine went off-the camera went off. But in Qashqai J11 2016 it stays on 24/7. I have turned off all the parking modes in the dashcam but it does not help. The cigarete lighter supplies voltage even with a turned off and locked car. It has fully drained my brand new car battery after 5 days on the driveway.
Gutted

Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Have a google on wiring a dash cam on a QQ J11, easy job, just need a wiring kit. as an example
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
CarGuyUK
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by CarGuyUK »

you need to use a switched fuse connection so the cam only works when the ignition is on
J12 2023 DIG-T Mild Hybrid Manual Tekna in Magnetic Blue
Please like & Subscribe www.youtube.com/@carguyuk
IgorS

Post by IgorS »

s0Vicky wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:13 pm I have came accros a very weird problem. It is that the dashcam does not go completly off and stays on parking monitor mode on all the time. I have used in in my previous Juke and once the engine went off-the camera went off. But in Qashqai J11 2016 it stays on 24/7. I have turned off all the parking modes in the dashcam but it does not help. The cigarete lighter supplies voltage even with a turned off and locked car. It has fully drained my brand new car battery after 5 days on the driveway.
Gutted
Unfortunately the front cigarete lighter port (one right under the media center, in front of the gear stick) is always on in J11 models.

The one inside the arm rest on the other hand, does turn off after a while (from 45 to 300 seconds after you turn ignition off, dpeending on BCM settings). Try moving the power plug to the arm rest.
icesteelman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by icesteelman »

Interesting :?

I have a J11b and use a dashcam plugged into the front cigarette lighter port too, but have had no issues with battery drain. That said, my dashcam although cheap and cheerful, has a movement sensor and small battery to (hopefully) power up should anyone bump my car. Power to this port appears to switch off around 30 seconds after turning off the ignition (well the dashcam goes off) and I have never had any battery issues (touch wood!).

Did they fix this on the J11b maybe, or do you possibly have a fault on your J11a? Or am I just lucky?
2020 Gunmetal Grey N-Connecta Dig-T 1.3 140 manual, Glass Roof
2017 Ink Blue N-Connecta 1.6 dCi Manual 4WD with Comfort and Heat Packs
IgorS

Post by IgorS »

icesteelman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:28 pm Interesting :?

I have a J11b and use a dashcam plugged into the front cigarette lighter port too, but have had no issues with battery drain. That said, my dashcam although cheap and cheerful, has a movement sensor and small battery to (hopefully) power up should anyone bump my car. Power to this port appears to switch off around 30 seconds after turning off the ignition (well the dashcam goes off) and I have never had any battery issues (touch wood!).

Did they fix this on the J11b maybe, or do you possibly have a fault on your J11a? Or am I just lucky?
They have indeed update this on J11b model. Quite a few things got improved: the new media console, all 12v plugs can now switch off with ignition, power windows wired up to the BCM. I'm quite a bit envious.