Colder weather

Forum for the Nissan Qashqai e-Power
vmaxphil
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by vmaxphil »

As the UK is now going into winter has anyone else noticed that there engine is running more often? I put this down to trying to heat up the cabin as the heating comes from the engine water jacket, the other day we had almost a full battery in town but the engine running, I suppose we'll just have to turn the heating down and wear a coat like cars 50 years ago 😁

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

vmaxphil wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:48 am As the UK is now going into winter has anyone else noticed that there engine is running more often? I put this down to trying to heat up the cabin as the heating comes from the engine water jacket, the other day we had almost a full battery in town but the engine running, I suppose we'll just have to turn the heating down and wear a coat like cars 50 years ago 😁
So what is it your saying is wrong with your car ??
egamar

Post by egamar »

vmaxphil wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:48 am As the UK is now going into winter has anyone else noticed that there engine is running more often? I put this down to trying to heat up the cabin as the heating comes from the engine water jacket, the other day we had almost a full battery in town but the engine running, I suppose we'll just have to turn the heating down and wear a coat like cars 50 years ago 😁
I've read elsewhere that the heating (at least in my J12 epower) does NOT come as one might expect from waste heat recovery from the engine cooling system - in fact it's apparently only ever electric (and not even partially from the cooling system when the engine is hot). It's the 12v power requirement for the heating system (and heated seats, screen and steering wheel when you turn them on) that causes the engine to kick in.

The benefit? Instant heat. The downside: perhaps unnecessary fuel consumption.
Tekna J12 e-Power.
Dodo78

Post by Dodo78 »

Hello,
I think if you look you will see that the heating comes from the engine cooling circuit and electric resistor
So this is a reason that runs the engine more often to provide heat.This is a diagram of an X-trail e-power.
I

heater.png

Last edited by Dodo78 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
X-trail e-power 2023
src2024

Post by src2024 »

egamar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:02 pm
I've read elsewhere that the heating (at least in my J12 epower) does NOT come as one might expect from waste heat recovery from the engine cooling system - in fact it's apparently only ever electric (and not even partially from the cooling system when the engine is hot). It's the 12v power requirement for the heating system (and heated seats, screen and steering wheel when you turn them on) that causes the engine to kick in.

The benefit? Instant heat. The downside: perhaps unnecessary fuel consumption.
Qashqai e-power is never going to return any substantial fuel saving....it just gives a quieter ride without the drone of an engine and gearbox...that is it!
ON THE BUSES for ever! Reg and Jack are Gods! :D
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

It can do if driven efficiently, in the summer I was able to do over 621 miles (1000km) on one tank of petrol…how many petrol cars of the Qashqai class can deliver that & I don’t mean manufacturers blurb but real world. No previous petrol Qashqai I’ve had could do it.

Regarding the heating, I’m still not sure if it’s just an electrical heater as I’ve found in this cold weather if I am able to set off on EV only the car isn’t warming up, whereas if I press the accelerator before engaging drive so that the ICE starts then the car does warm up fairly quickly.
I’m sure the small thin steel box that sits on top of the engine (under the plastic cover) is something to do with the heater.
I’ve also noticed at the moment the ICE kicks in a lot more & EV cannot be selected even when the battery is over 75%, could be the ICE is running to prevent the battery reaching full capacity.
So yes at the moment it is returning poor mpg, down in the low 20s sometimes.
But it’s in for its first service next week & have mentioned this so we’ll see if they can do anything to improve it.
M
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)
Dodo78

Post by Dodo78 »

The heating system uses an electrical resistance when starting and water from the engine to heat the passenger compartment. For the moment in winter I have not noticed any difference in consumption, I turn off the air conditioning and I set the heating to 16-18, and I drive with the windows closed.
X-trail e-power 2023
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

Dodo78 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:56 am The heating system uses an electrical resistance when starting and water from the engine to heat the passenger compartment. For the moment in winter I have not noticed any difference in consumption, I turn off the air conditioning and I set the heating to 16-18, and I drive with the windows closed.
you will notice a difference with mpg in winter as the car has to work harder to warm up ;)
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I was reading this morning that many Tesla drivers, in the USA, have been stranded as the cold weather is halving the range of their batteries.
Last edited by PJB729 on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

PJB729 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:16 am I was reading this morning that many Tesla drivers, in the USA, have been standard as the cold weather is halving the range of their batteries.
Yes, "stranded" and many chargers breaking down due to the cold
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)