attempted pressure selling of extended warranties etc.

Forum for the Nissan Qashqai e-Power
Dave296
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Dave296 »

My wife has just bought an 18 months old Nissan Juke from a branch of Bristol Street Motors. On agreeing the purchase, she declined an extended warranty, service contract, paintwork protection and other extras. On returning home from agreeing the purchase she was subjected to about 10 text messages and several e mails all urging her to consider the extended warranties etc. All these came from no reply addresses. It got so bad, that she was on the verge of cancelling the car. It caused undue, needless stress. We have complained to the General Manager of the branch and on collecting the car, my wife received an apology from the sales manager, blaming circumstances out of his control and he would try to ensure it did not happen to others. Apparently we are the only ones to have complained!!!

Nissan UK got a copy of our written complaint but as yet have not acknowledged it. So much for customer service!! I just wondered if any other forum members had experienced the same attempted pressure selling attempts? I must say that when I bought my Qashqai e-power 15 months ago from the same dealer, I was not subject to the same barrage of texts or e-mails.

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

It's how the staff get a nice bonus as thats where the money is made on the extra addons 🤑
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Sounds like your wife has encountered a sales person on some sort of performance related warning, who has been over zealous.
Great to hear that the Sales Manager offered an apology.
I wouldn’t expect Nissan to get involved though.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

When I bought my Qashqai secondhand I was expecting to pay £15,000 (+ part ex)

When it came to pay the bill was £16,500 - they had added all these "desirable extras" in without discussing it with me!

I declined them all.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Dave296

Post by Dave296 »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Just took a bit of gloss off the purchase. She does like the car though!!
oggie1947

Post by oggie1947 »

I've bought a couple of cars from Bristol Street motors and it now seems the norm for them to add a lot of extras.
They added wheel insurance. paint protection, mats and boot liner, and then tried to sell me a service plan.
You have to look really carefully at what they are charging you for and decline what you don't want.
It does seem to be standard practice with this deaership, so you do really have to be checking what you are paying for.
MontyB52

Post by MontyB52 »

It’s because they get their commission for the insurance sale & “can use it to improve the deal”
And because they have paperwork for you to sign to say they told you about the benefits of the insurance & you declined them…just in case you tried to say down the line you weren’t told about or offered them & now your alloys are scratched.

You can say NO to them & even walk away.

My BSM dealer has always tried to include the extras in their first quote, & I always say “No, I don’t want GAP Insurance, I don’t want tyres or alloy cover either, paint protection only if it’s free”
“Okay, we have to offer it”
Back & forth to the manager goes the salesperson till manager eventually comes out to talk direct with me & I get what I’m after (or near to it)…with a good old firm shake of the hand. (Deal with the organ grinder not the monkey)

I was told by another dealer that they cannot now use their commission from the insurance packs to bring the price down, they can only use their mark up on products like the paint protection.
72 plate E-Power N-Connecta in Burgundy 8-)