full LED headlight unit swap from halogen

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
VictoryQQ
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by VictoryQQ »

Has anyone succeeded in swapping the headlight units from halogen to full LED on J11b 2019 model type? Now that there are second hand units online for around £300, I would like to upgrade them on my car. But I see that the connectors are different on these two headlights. If anyone could send me a picture of the 2 connectors/plugs that go into the Full LED headlight unit, so that I can see the wiring colours into each plug (or draw a basic diagram), that would be very helpful - I will then make some tests with my car to find out the correct adaptor diagram from halogen to Full LED units
Last edited by VictoryQQ on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Qq J11B 2019 1.3DiGT 160hp Connecta. Upgrades: chrome front bumper lower edge, chrome rear boot edge, LED tail lights, manual push switch on tail light and cam, xenon headlight low beam and LED high beam, automatic doors locking

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I suspect that this will be fairly difficult.
Nissan seems to delight in making any perceived upgrade to a standard car a real epic.
An example is the Connect System and installation of a more advanced unit salvaged from a newer version - i.e. it’s really difficult to install the Connect from a J11B (like yours) into a J11A
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
VictoryQQ

Post by VictoryQQ »

Thank you MikeGC for your reply. While the retrofit from J11B into J11a proved cumbersome for the Connect System, I am hopeful that the conversion at same model year J11B for the headlight will be easier to do. I am awaiting to receive one unit by post to get my hands and test the wiring. Should anyone here could hep sending me pictures of the plugs wiring colours from a J11b All LED (ie. Tekna or NTec I believe), that would really help me in doing my wiring conversion analysis
Qq J11B 2019 1.3DiGT 160hp Connecta. Upgrades: chrome front bumper lower edge, chrome rear boot edge, LED tail lights, manual push switch on tail light and cam, xenon headlight low beam and LED high beam, automatic doors locking
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Do you have manual headlight levelling presently.

The LED ones are automatically levelled by motors. They may not be adaptable to manual levelling.

There may be MoT issues too.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
VictoryQQ

Post by VictoryQQ »

My car has manual levelling with motor controlled by a button on the instrument panel. I think/hope that the auto-leveling system is an (optional) feature that used the same motor and electronics.

I need a wiring diagram of the J11B headlights, in case anyone can help please? (I only found the J11A wiring diagram online, which uses different sockets and wiring unfortunately - the J11B has 2 plugs, with 8 pins and 3 pins respectively)
VictoryQQ

Post by VictoryQQ »

Great news, I almost finalised my project of designing a plug & play module for swapping the headlight units from halogen to full LED original unit on my J11b 2019 model type. This OEM headlight unit gives a much better light quality, safety and visibility, in addition to the improved aesthetics, and improved reliability and durability compared to the after-market Xenons and LED bulbs that I've tried so far and found inferior to the OEM headlight units. I designed and built a module that can be used plug & play directly on the original harness plugs without any modifications to the car or headlights, and it shall also pass the MOT technical tests requirements in my opinion after discussions with my local MOT workshop. I am still doing the final adjustments and tests before offering to produce more modules in case other happy owners of Qashqai J11b are interested. I purchased my full LED headlamp units second hand online and will sell my existing halogen units that in almost like new condition.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Well done!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
VictoryQQ

Post by VictoryQQ »

It’s ready and works beautifully, after much efforts to design and build it. Feel free to reach out to me on PM or by email at harness.modules@gmail.com if you are interested
pkrisz74

Post by pkrisz74 »

VictoryQQ wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:20 pm Great news, I almost finalised my project of designing a plug & play module for swapping the headlight units from halogen to full LED original unit on my J11b 2019 model type. This OEM headlight unit gives a much better light quality, safety and visibility, in addition to the improved aesthetics, and improved reliability and durability compared to the after-market Xenons and LED bulbs that I've tried so far and found inferior to the OEM headlight units. I designed and built a module that can be used plug & play directly on the original harness plugs without any modifications to the car or headlights, and it shall also pass the MOT technical tests requirements in my opinion after discussions with my local MOT workshop. I am still doing the final adjustments and tests before offering to produce more modules in case other happy owners of Qashqai J11b are interested. I purchased my full LED headlamp units second hand online and will sell my existing halogen units that in almost like new condition.
Hi,

Do You have wiring diagram for the new bi-led headlights connection?

BR

Krisz