Paint peeling issue

Bodywork & Interior problems
AceV
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by AceV »

Anyone experiencing paint peeling off the primer, specifically ivory pearl QAB?

Had what started out as a minor stone chip on my 2015 J11 that turned into bubbling paint below it which then resulted in more paint peeling off.

Doing some googling, in the USA NIssan/Infiniti have accepted responsibility for this but I'm in Australia I can't find any issues over here other than with Patrols.

Is this a common occurrence after a stone chip on certain cars?

paint chip.jpg

Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Looks like the colour coat has not adhered to the primer coat correctly, and going by the flaking edges you'll probably going to loose more paint?
I'm sure that someone a wee bit more knowledgeable on paint will be along soon with advice.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
AceV

Post by AceV »

Squashy2 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:37 pm Looks like the colour coat has not adhered to the primer coat correctly, and going by the flaking edges you'll probably going to loose more paint?
I'm sure that someone a wee bit more knowledgeable on paint will be along soon with advice.
Yes, definitely hasn't adhered properly. That's why NIssan in the US are paying for customers to have their vehicles repainted because it's a manufacturing issue.

I just had a better look and there are multiple little water droplet sized paint bubbles which are nowhere near where the original stone chip was.

This shouldn't be happening to a car that's not even 10 years old, right? Or am I expecting too much?
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

I've just sent a message to a good Friend who is a time served car painter and he is extremely knowledgeable.
I'll get back to you if he has any advice.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

AceV

Post by AceV »

Squashy2 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:53 am I've just sent a message to a good Friend who is a time served car painter and he is extremely knowledgeable.
I'll get back to you if he has any advice.
I appreciate that. Thank you.

I think my only two options are to either touch it up and respray at a later date or get it resprayed soon. Going to get a few quotes and also talk to Nissan Australia as under Australian law they may be liable to pay a portion to get it resprayed but I'm not holding my breath.

Possibly even sell it in case other panels start deteriorating. Google search "nissan paint peeling". Seem to be a common problem.
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

I've just had a reply from my Friend.
Without physically seeing the issue he cannot be 100% certain, however he does say that it may well be a combination of poor adhesion between the primer and colour coat, which is normally caused by trapped solvent and/or poor quality paint with insufficient UV resistance.
Eventually the top coat will carry on flaking until it meets an area where there is complete adherence.
Hope this is some help to you with regards to contacting Nissan.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

becm

Post by becm »

Hi All,

Just came across this thread whilst looking for others who may be experiencing this issue in Australia. I have a Qashqai 2015 and the paint is peeling off the rear passenger door. Although I have been told by several panel beaters that this is not 'normal' for paint and that its a manufacturing fault Nissan Australia have refused to rectify the issue, saying that they will not assist as the vehicle is out of warranty. Has anyone had any luck with Nissan Australia in resolving these issues or can anyone make any suggestions/point me in the right direction? Any help/advice would be appreciated. TIA

IMG_6024.jpg

Peeling paint

Post by Peeling paint »

Yes have the same issue on my 14 plate quashqai pearl white. What started as a chip has now become a respray of entire side panel. This has happened also on the bonet. Our body shop have noticed that there is no primer under the top coat.
defectivepaint123

Post by defectivepaint123 »

I have this exact issue on my 2014 Qashqai. I am currently looking into into it further after speaking with ACV.
Silvermachine

Post by Silvermachine »

I’ve got a similar problem. Washing the car with a jet wash and the paint started peeling off the bonnet.
With wash wash more comes off.

image.jpg