Smart Key Problems

ICE, Equipment, Options
Eddzilla

Post by Eddzilla »

Evening all.

I was just wondering if anyone has been experiencing problems opening or locking their car with the door handle button? Also starting the car?

The last 2-3 days i've been intermitently unable to unlock the car doors with the door handle button. The key has been in my pocket as per usual. The buttons on the key fob work OK and thats how i've got in. Then also i've been unable to start the car a few times with the display saying the key is not detected. Same key, same pocket just behaving differently to normal. Its getting on my wick a bit too as you do get used to these functions.

I'm going to try the spare key tomorrow to see if that is any better. As said, if anyone else has had similar problems i would be thankfull of your comments. Car needs to go to the dealers asap as i finally got the recall letter. Going to be a good opportunity to see what they can do about a large hand full of problems.

F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

This could be an indication of low battery. There have been a number of cases where the battery is faulty and not holding a charge correctly. One of the indicators for this is key issues including the key not detected warning. It might be worth getting the battery checked out by your dealer.Our car was delivered with a faulty battery and replaced under warranty.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
questy

Post by questy »

HiI have had this problem also and the message Key ID Incorrect on screen, the garage told me that as the key is always searching for the receiver it will use more battery power than other key fobs. they also said that there was a problem with drivers riding with a foot on the clutch causing this problem and that they could reset this but no fix found. My problem was neither of the above I cant remember the exact word of the fault it sounded as if it was a part to do with the locking system but it was fixed.
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

I've had the "no key detected" problem once. Unfortunately after we'd only had the car a couple of weeks. We did a 160 mile trip to my brother -in-laws. parked up, then after a quick cuppa all trolled out to see the new car. Slightly embarrassing. Anyway we had the spare key with us so got that from the house and it worked fine. SInce then, 3 months, not had the problem again. Sometimes the car refuses to lock so I open and close the last door that was used and this seems to help. Initially I thought the doors hadn't been closed properly (e.g. boot) but now I suspect it's a logic problem as I'm certain that on many occasions the door is properly closed.It's okay having the skeleton key in the fob to gain access to the vehicle but on our car there is no key slot on the dash to actually start the car so if we get a "key not detected" fault we can only sit in the car while we wait for assistance?
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
questy

Post by questy »

Hi BeardymanThere should be a blank on the steering column where you would normally put a key I gather its under that
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Cheers Questy, I didn't look to see if there's a blanking plate!I must admit that even after 3 months I haven't spent much time actually sitting in the car "playing". I tend to get in and drive. I feel I need a few more shopping trips where my wife can go and get the shopping while I sit in the car and play
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Wheelie Bealie

Post by Wheelie Bealie »

To overcome the key error in order to start the car you just offer the key up against the engine start button for a moment and then press the engine start button as normal.
2014 1.5dCi Tekna (Manual)
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

My Understanding is the same as Wheelies.If the key isn't detected you are supposed to touch (or offer up) the key to the stop start button.It should then start as normal.In my case the only time i've ever seen the key fault is if i get out of the car when it's running, usually to open a gate.It goes away as soon as i get back in.I'm not aware of the clutch causing the "key" error?I thought that was a stop/start error?Either way i'd be taking it back to the dealer to sort out.The battery shouldn't be flat in this short a period of time.
Nissan no more...
Pedro500
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Pedro500 »

I've been having the same problem, and it's very annoying when you get in the car and want to drive away but have this error message, though it goes away after 20- 25 seconds after it sorted itself out.

Taking the car back to the dealer next Monday for the cabin rattle problem and will ask them. Is it the battery problem?

I was told by the RAC that they had my battery fitted last year, for the previous owner.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Pedro500 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:59 am Is it the battery problem?

I was told by the RAC that they had my battery fitted last year, for the previous owner.
I think that the battery referred to in this thread is the battery in the key fob (apologies if I've missed something) and not the "main" battery
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)