Winter Tips & Checks

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

As the Winter is beginning to set in questions are starting to appear with regard to Winter Preparation. Just so we do not get into repeating Topics I would suggest using the "Search" Facility (there are most probably more examples) as there are a lot of good comments already Documented. Please take a look at these previous Posts which should hopefully help and prepare you for the Winter Period - Dave ;)

Incidently one point that has just been noted this past week is our temps were down to around the 4°c mark and when lifting the Rear Hatch be careful as it does Not open as quick as in the Summer. You can end up with a Big Headache if you rush in as the Hatch hangs up - not fully open !. It would appear that the Struts are not man enough, but the Bonnet Struts that were fitted from the Group Buy still function perfectly :)

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1580&hilit=Winter+Tips#p17035

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1724&hilit=Winter+Tips#p18889
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just another small Tip. I changed the Windowscreen Fluid, treated the Doors and Window Rubbers yesterday and then finally set the Auto Mirrors to stay "Open". I know this auto closing is a great feature for knowing the QQ is locked, but it can be an expensive problem in Bad weather.
Our 2014 model did not have this feature that the Mirrors could stay open so I got our Dealer to add a switch for this. Today we have already 0*C and when the heavy ice and or snow comes and freezes you just hear the electrics trying to open the Mirrors with "Crunching & Grinding" noises between the plastic sliding surfaces and it can end up being very expensive. Even using the WD40 or Silicon Sprays does not normally help.
So I suppose what I am saying as a recommendation in the Winter is to leave your Mirrors "Open" naturally if you park outside - I hope this is of some help ! - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

What was your choice of treatment for the door rubbers Dave?
1.5dci Acenta Premium
Wishlist: Autofold Mirrors, Chrome body trim and Metal sill protectors;

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

fat controller, open up my 1st attachment on my first comment above. What I use personally is either the Sonax Rubber Protectant or a Nigrin Rubber Care Stick as these happen to be available out here. These are easy to use by just squeezing the tube and making sure the plunger moves to dispense the fluid. I am sure there must be equivalents around in the UK - Dave ;)
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

I generally use AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care which has stood me well over the years, but wondered if I was perhaps missing out on some miracle product :)

Back in the day, it was a smear of Vaseline...... :mrgreen:
1.5dci Acenta Premium

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

For rubber seals I use a product that Dave may have heard of - it's called Einszett Gummi Pflege.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361352016768
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
Lineman

Post by Lineman »

Temperatures are getting down to the magic 7 degrees C here in Ireland now, so it's now time to go have my winter tyres fitted for the season. Nokian WDR3 in 17". They were great last winter season.
1.6 dci SVE (Tekna) Ireland. 19" diamond cut alloys changed for 17" Powder coated Black.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

fatcontroller / Hound, I suppose theoretically it does not matter a monkies what we use Sonax, Nigrin, Autoglym, Einszett (have heard of it) or the good Old Vaseline etc.... The priority is just to stop the Door / Seals etc freezing during the Winter periods. Do not stick too much on as it can mark light colored clothing then you will be in deep S . . .
Personally I have found it helps and it would appear you also think so - hope it works this year for you both - Dave ;)
fat controller

Post by fat controller »

Thanks Dave :)

It is a case of old habits with me - being a Scotsman, I am used to a bit of ice and snow in winter, and have always been a bit fussy about my cars being 'just right' for the winter. Living within the M25 now, I have had some funny looks when checking, treating, lubricating and then lobbing shovel and blankets into the boot........ I have only had to use the shovel once in the16 years I have been down here, but I would still rather have it in there than not. Hope the winter is kind to you :)
1.5dci Acenta Premium

Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Hound wrote:For rubber seals I use a product that Dave may have heard of - it's called Einszett Gummi Pflege.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361352016768
That's what I use also
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.