Start/Stop system on CVT

Frequently Asked Questions
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi all

Went for a test drive in a QQ 1.6 CVT today, was quite impressed. However can someone give some advice re the start/stop system on the CVT. I was near the end of the test drive when I had to pull up behind a parked car and the QQ's engine stopped. Soon as I took my foot off the brake it started again, but thought the start/stop system would only kick in if the car was put into neutral. I see from some old posts on here that it does not start working until the car has warmed up, but once it has started working does the start/stop system kick in every time you come to a halt even when in drive or reverse?

I also questioned the electronic parking brake with the sales guy as he said that it had to be released manually on the CVT rather than auto releasing when touching the gas pedal, which my current Astra does. Did think it a bit strange, and have since found an old thread on here confirming the CVT brake auto releases when the gas pedal is touched. Wish I had just tried it now whilst out on test drive, as it's always good to prove a sales person wrong!

Thanks for any help.
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)

Danny

Post by Danny »

Start Stop will active irrelevant of gear when coming to a complete stop, providing all the variables it takes into account are right (as in sometimes it may not activate).

For example, when in drive at traffic lights, if you stop, it will likely activate. Turning on the parking brake and lifting your foot will annoyingly deactivate it. Although if you place the car into park then it stays activated. So if you're stuck for a long time, pop it in park and activate the hand brake, leaving your feet free and start stop will activate.

Overall it's a great system which i've come to really appreciate. In the few days I've owned it, I've been very impressed with it, it's a genuine feature rather than a novelty.

regarding the parking break. It will deactivate automatically when accelerating. Although I have found that this can also be temperamental. For example, today when exiting the petrol station, it refused to deactivate it self, so I had to use it manually. Otherwise 9.9 times out of 10 it's automatic.

I have a 1.2 CVT and I love it.
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Danny

Thanks for that info, and the advice on the start/stop system. I must say I was surprised when the engine cut out as I pulled up and the car was still in drive, my wife thought I had stalled it, er no, it's an automatic.

I really wish I had pulled away without manually deactivating the parking brake, could have taught the sales guy something there.

Glad you are enjoying your car.
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Danny

Post by Danny »

The beauty of start stop is that when stuck in traffic or at lights, it will cut the engine out, saving petrol and therefor making your local tree hugger as well as your wallet happy! If you had to change gear every time to use it, you'd be stuck at the lights for ages and I'd suspect most of us would give up and just not use it.

It's also extremely quick, as in you can start to pull away almost instantly. There's no real lag.

I've not been brave enough to see if the hand brake de-activates automatically (not really a featured I would use) when leaving the car and locking it. Before leaving the car I always pop it in park and push the hand brake button but other than that it will deactivate automatically. Again, it's fairly quick at doing so as well.
2016 - 1.2 Xtronic - N-tec + - Blade Silver