USB port broken :-(

Bodywork & Interior problems
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Hi guys,

A quick question before a trip to the dealer. The USB/Aux socket sitting in the compartment under the armrest broke - the fascia fell off and the cable/electrics underneath sank back into the abyss in the armrest, they can not be pulled back out from the opening. From what I can see, the electrics sit on a frame that is designed to click into the side of the body of the armrest and the fascia covers them (it had been glued on top). Now that the electric assembly can not be pulled out and re-clipped, I expect it will take for someone to disassemble the whole armrest unit. A garage job but would you expect that to be covered under warranty?

Thanks for your thoughts.
New Qashqai, 1.6 DCI Tekna, registered March 2014, 22500 miles on the clock

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Ivelina, bet you are not happy ! :oops: IMHO it is you against the Dealer, if you can prove it is a Manufacturing Fault and not improper use then you are onto a Winner, if not unfortunately you will probably be charged for the Parts & Labour - Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

The USB port should be designed to allow for several entries & removals several times a day for many years IMO :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Beardyman

Post by Beardyman »

Gel wrote:The USB port should be designed to allow for several entries & removals several times a day for many years IMO :)
I agree, it SHOULD.
However the original spec for USB ports was for quick attachment of printers and computer peripherals with as many as 10 plug/unplug cycles in a lifetime! They were never intended for thumb drives, portable hard drives etc. Obviously they last considerably longer than the original spec but I'm not sure what the guaranteed life is these days.
1.2 DiG-T TEKNA petrol manual panoramic, nightshade. Easy-Lift bonnet gas strut kit.
QDay 28.11.2014
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

You can access the electrics from the back of the console, if you just need to rescue them from the abyss.
The rear panel (2) pulls off - it's secured with metal clips. Open the lid first, then pull one edge at the top
of the rear panel to get it started.

console.jpg

I went in there in order to access a source for a rear 12v socket in the boot (hence the extra red/black
cable here)

console2.jpg

There's also a white cable tidy that clips in the lug on the right - yours may have become displaced (as
above) with the electrics being pushed out of place.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
ivelina

Post by ivelina »

Hound wrote:You can access the electrics from the back of the console, if you just need to rescue them from the abyss.
Wow, Hound, thank you for the excellent diagram and information. I would have tried it myself, had I not already been to the garage.

It turned out that the whole USB cable casing is falling to bits and that is why it unclipped (or broke off) from the fascia part. I was lucky enough that the most helpful guy was there when I popped into the garage - he came out to have a look, popped the rear lid open, pulled out the cable from underneath, complete with the casing, and tried to reattach it. As he was trying to clip it, bits of it kept on chipping off so he concluded that a new casing needed to be ordered. I asked him to confirm that it would be covered under warranty and he said of course, not a problem.

The plastic casing seems to be made of very thin, brittle plastic, which is not fit for supporting the whole cabling assembly, I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem. I do change the USBs regularly but not that often (once a week at most).

Thank you all for your valuable support, and I hope this will help someone with a similar problem.
New Qashqai, 1.6 DCI Tekna, registered March 2014, 22500 miles on the clock
Gel

Post by Gel »

Glad it's being fixed; perhaps we all need to invest in one of these!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qualified-Dat ... SwP~tW1lzY
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I'm pleased to hear they're sorting it out properly without argument! :)

Perhaps in future you could fit a short (10cm) USB extension cable so that you're only ever plugging
and unplugging your USB stick on the end of the cable, and not putting pressure on the port itself.

usb.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hound, that is a good idea because I often get frustrated trying to get the USB Cable end in the socket, obviously this cable extension will give more flexibility. I have the iPhone and cigarette lighter extension cables so this is the next - Thanks Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Jockj

Post by Jockj »

Sorry to resurrect an old post.
Has anyone fitted a secondary USB/AUX SOCKET IN their QQ?
Keep smiling.

Jockj