stop/start system fault

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
gazzaroo

Post by gazzaroo »

hello friends
need some help I keep getting the message stop/start system fault appear with the auto symbol flashing.cant seem to find out why this is occurring,any ideas on how to rectify the problem please :D

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Known issues:-

Could be the battery is on the way out (several of us have had them replaced).
You are "riding" the clutch with your left foot in normal driving operation - i.e. resting against the clutch pedal.

I've also found a way on my car to make it happen just after initial engine start.

Depress clutch & start engine.
Don't release clutch.
Engage gear.
Set off.
stop/start system failure (auto symbol) appears after a short period of time.
Nissan no more...
rongil

Post by rongil »

Could be due to a low battery problem. I have the same and my battery is showing a low voltage. But after start and driving a bit problem goes away
gazzaroo

Post by gazzaroo »

seem to have had this message for a few days even when ive been driving.tried to disable stop/start function,but still a problem
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

I've got the same as Gazzaroo and its going in on the 26th. Dealer told me that its the switch on the clutch pedal needs changing. I said that the engineer would have a hard job to find the clutch pedal as mine is a CTV. He than stated it might be how I'm driving it. Do they really know anything about these faults.
XTrailQashqaiJuked& nowbacktoQashqaiwithGun Metal1.6Teknacvt
montimar

Post by montimar »

I had the same problem, caused by low battery voltage. The dealer lent me a battery to keep me going and place my battery on Smart Charge for a couple of days to bring it back to life. I contacted Nissan Customer Service but they would not agree to a battery change so I now connect a smart charger every couple of weeks so I don't have to keep calling out the RAC to get me running. Not a satisfactory outcome.
April 2014 Acenta 1.6 Xtronic Blade Silver
Rustical

Post by Rustical »

This seems to be an ongoing problem for many. We had this fault when we bought got ours April 2014 new model 1.6 Techna premium
We took it back several times, at first they said we were resting foot on Clutch pedal which can cause the fault.
Turns out the problem is the battery, Wife only does around 6 miles a day to work and back and it was not enough to charge the battery,,, were told, anyway since the garage did an overnight charge it has not happened again, and that was about 8 months ago now.
I still follow the threads.
The battery seems to be an issue for many, about time Nissan did something more about it and also remedy the front sensors which annoyingly activate every time its been raining!! These were part of a service update when the rear tow bar fix was actioned but still not resolved.

1.6 Metallic Black Techna Premium with Chrome pack :roll:
Moribund

Post by Moribund »

AlleyCat wrote:Known issues:-

You are "riding" the clutch with your left foot in normal driving operation - i.e. resting against the clutch pedal.

I've also found a way on my car to make it happen just after initial engine start.

Don't release clutch.
Engage gear.
Set off.
I've been told that my use of the clutch is causing the error. Dealer saying battery is fine but reported errors on the clutch switch.

Your description of starting the car got me wondering as this sounds like how I normally start :)

What do you do normally that's different from this? Do you check car is in neutral when starting and releasing the clutch, then put the clutch back in to engage first/reverse. Only asking as this may explain why I'm getting the error
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If the system is serviceable, I cant see how depressing the clutch will set off the error, the clutch is designed to be depressed, or be in any position between its range of movement. I can understand that the system will not operate with a faulty switch or incorrect adjustment, but creating an error, I don't get it.

Sometimes it not a faulty battery, it could be the lack of output from the alternator. This should be checked also, not just change the battery. Although a battery can be put on a test bench and given some simple tests.
Moribund wrote:
AlleyCat wrote:Known issues:-

Don't release clutch.
Engage gear.
Set off.
I've been told that my use of the clutch is causing the error. Dealer saying battery is fine but reported errors on the clutch switch.

Your description of starting the car got me wondering as this sounds like how I normally start :)

What do you do normally that's different from this? Do you check car is in neutral when starting and releasing the clutch, then put the clutch back in to engage first/reverse. Only asking as this may explain why I'm getting the error
Geejay98
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Geejay98 »

Interested in comments above as I have an intermittent problem with the Stop Start on my 2016 QQ.
Sometimes it works, other times it does not.
Had a new battery fitted by RAC a few months ago when it failed completely.
Also was checked by local dealer when car was serviced a few weeks ago and told all was OK but still has same fault.
Should Stop Start work immediately or does it need to ‘warm up’ before starting to work?
Could it be new battery initial voltage after starting engine needs boosting before System works?