Nissan will make the next Qashqai and XTrail in Sunderland

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Rob
Site Admin
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Rob »

Nissan Motor Company Ltd. today announced, following its Executive Committee meeting, that it will produce the next Qashqai and will add production of the next X-Trail model at its Sunderland, U.K. Plant.

JS30906615.jpg

Nissan’s decision follows the U.K. government’s commitment to ensure that the Sunderland plant remains competitive. As a result, Nissan will increase its investment in Sunderland, securing and sustaining the jobs of more than 7,000 workers at the plant.

“I am pleased to announce that Nissan will continue to invest in Sunderland. Our employees there continue to make the plant a globally competitive powerhouse, producing high-quality, high-value products every day,” said Carlos Ghosn, Chairman and CEO of Nissan. “The support and assurances of the U.K. government enabled us to decide that the next-generation Qashqai and X-Trail will be produced at Sunderland. I welcome British Prime Minister Theresa May’s commitment to the automotive industry in Britain and to the development of an overall industrial strategy.”

Nissan’s Sunderland plant opened in 1986 and has produced almost 9 million cars since. One in three British cars are produced in Sunderland, which is the UK’s largest car plant of all time. In addition, 80% of production from Sunderland is exported to over 130 international markets. More than 2 million Qashqai’s have been built in Sunderland in less than 10 years. In addition to the 7,000 direct employees at Sunderland, the plant supports a further 28,000 British automotive supply chain jobs. To date, Nissan has invested more than £3.7 billion in Sunderland.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Great News for all the lads & lassies in Soonderland & UK plc.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

That is a sigh of relief for the Nissan Sunderland Workers and great news for it's future growth, not only the QQ but also the X-Trail. So it looks like the "Sun" report was spot on - Dave ;)

From the Beeb : http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37787890
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are a few more facts on the Nissan decision from Greg Clark UK Business Secretary - Dave ;)

http://bloom.bg/2e0MG9B
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here comes the EU ! - Dave :(

IMG_1573.PNG

hkphooey

Post by hkphooey »

Shame it will be made from inferior Renault parts!!!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Do not Forget that we are talking about Renault / Nissan (now Mitsubishi also) and both companies share parts and if you are a QQ Owner then you are sitting and riding around on Renault parts now. How do you think the Renault Kadjar appeared on the Market so quickly, it is based on the QQ - Dave ;)
hkphooey

Post by hkphooey »

Exactly I am QQ owner and hate the thing lol
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sorry, but this article was really aimed at the future of Sunderland and specifically the J11 & X-Trail which is the latest version QQ. We have a J11 and had some faults that have been corrected but after 2 years still enjoying the QQ, I have never driven a J10 - Dave ;)
hkphooey

Post by hkphooey »

DaveBerlin wrote:Sorry, but this article was really aimed at the future of Sunderland and specifically the J11 & X-Trail which is the latest version QQ. We have a J11 and had some faults that have been corrected but after 2 years still enjoying the QQ, I have never driven a J10 - Dave ;)
yes my friend i gathered that.. What im trying to say is if they keep making the QQ X Trial from all these cheap tat Renault parts then whether they are made in Sunderland or Tim buck too won't make a jot worth of difference!!!
Yes at least jobs will be safe but they won't if people stop buying them because they are not living upto the the Japanese quality that most of us expected to be buying!!!
I had a 15 year old Toyota yaris T Sport as my little run around while i was looking for the right model QQ and the quality difference my god!!! its not even funny :roll: