1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Frankiejr

Post by Frankiejr »

Also I assumed there would be an oil level warning on the QQ so thanks to this thread I now know that doesn't exist so I MUST check the oil more often. As an oil pressure warning is never going to be a good thing!

jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Frankiejr wrote:Hi all, I have just signed up as I have a QQ and took it to the dealers today due to noises from the engine and hesitation at low revs. They advise it is due to low oil level and needs 3 litres. The service was only 5k ago so I asked if this was normal with the reply of "yes, up to 1 litre every 1k is normal."

I will see what it drives like and try to remember to check in the next 1k but this seemed excessive which is why I searched and came upon this thread.

After the issue ongoing for some for nearly two years I am surprised the stance from Nissan on consumption is still the same.
==================================

if it needed 3 litres , there could not have been any oil on the dipstik.

the admission that 1litre per 1000km is acceptable is quit outrageous .

you could refer this to nissan customer sevices amd see what they say .

myself i would reject the car if this is all correct .

my own car has used one litre in 7000m , which i find excessive and unprecedented.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

jackdaww wrote:
the admission that 1litre per 1000km is acceptable is quit outrageous .

you could refer this to nissan customer sevices amd see what they say .

myself i would reject the car if this is all correct .

my own car has used one litre in 7000m , which i find excessive and unprecedented.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

That's not the most outrageous I have heard.

On a popular BMW board I have seen a few posts about excessive oil consumption and BMW themselves say that 1 litre every 500 miles (ca. 800km) is acceptable.

I do think it's a lot more than I would like to be using, it gets quite expensive using so much oil.

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red
Frankiejr

Post by Frankiejr »

Okay so I have the car back and the notes say no oils on the dipstick at all so needed 2.5 litres. There was also a litre bottle on the passenger seat which I thought was nice until I noticed I paid for that too Haha.

Though to be honest the engine still sounds the same to me as when it went in. Will see if it quietens down and also check the levels in 1k miles.

While there I also got my brake pads replaced as they were 'clunking' when braking and it seems QQ's eat tyres so may need two of them in 3 months (20 months old?).

Overall we think the QQ is great and perfect for our family. Though fuel consumption is higher than I was expecting (average 35mpg) and now feels like the 1.2 was not the right choice as it feels sluggish. Which is strange as when we first got it I'm sure it felt stronger.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I could have sworn I updated this thread.

Whist getting my Micra ARB bushes sorted (again!) I discussed the QQ with my dealer.... they want it back in with a view to either replace the piston rings, replace the bottom end, or new engine...! HURRAY something is now going to be done despite the initial 'go away... its normal'. Persistance is the key and another reason to report any issue to your dealer so you are covered.

I have delayed going back in until after new year, whilst I infrequently drive the QQ these days, the last thing I want is to be potentially a car down over crimbo and new year (I know they will give me a curt car.... but another Micra simply wont cut it!)
jackdaww

Post by jackdaww »

Frankiejr wrote:Okay so I have the car back and the notes say no oils on the dipstick at all so needed 2.5 litres. There was also a litre bottle on the passenger seat which I thought was nice until I noticed I paid for that too Haha.

Though to be honest the engine still sounds the same to me as when it went in. Will see if it quietens down and also check the levels in 1k miles.

While there I also got my brake pads replaced as they were 'clunking' when braking and it seems QQ's eat tyres so may need two of them in 3 months (20 months old?).

Overall we think the QQ is great and perfect for our family. Though fuel consumption is higher than I was expecting (average 35mpg) and now feels like the 1.2 was not the right choice as it feels sluggish. Which is strange as when we first got it I'm sure it felt stronger.
=============================

hope the brake pads were replaced under warranty , there should be no brake issues inside 3 years.

on principle ,myself , i would have handed back the unsolicited "gift" of oil and demanded it be refunded.

i always ask to be notified before any extra work or consumeables .

as you say the QQ is a great car , it would be with a decent engine and drivetrain.

:shock: :shock: :roll:
Qashqai acenta 1.2 petrol xtronic jan2016 - flame red - no bells and whistles.

previous , now departed , Primera 2l petrol cvt 2001 147000 faultless miles.
Frankiejr

Post by Frankiejr »

Haha I should have but when they quoted the £30 they didn't mention at the time it included it. And they also just gave me a booklet with the docs already inside so was only when I got home I noticed it.

When I do the 1k check if it needs topping up I will go to the dealer to investigate but make sure they use my bottle rather than charge me for more oil.

Also with the brakes it sounds like the lease company (PCP) have accepted payment for them. Though strangely brakes were not on they invoice they did confirm they were changed.

On that I may call to confirm as they said the back were 35% and front were 25% but on the invoice it's the other way around.
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Montytb4 wrote:Thought I would add an update to my QQs oil use problem.
On our holiday it used about 1/2 litre of oil.
When we got back the car went into the dealer (mid August) to have the software update done.
I thought all would be okay after this.
But, I checked the oil today & again it was below the bottom mark on the dipstick!!
I got straight onto the dealer, first off they asked had the oil level been topped up when the update was done, I presumed it had been...might not have!
Then the chap checked their computer log, it had had a 3ltr top up & warranty charge (the update) in August.
He went & spoke with his manager to check what needed to be done...to quote the manager "your piston rings are f**ked, we need to book your car in for 3 weeks, run some tests, speak to Nissan & hopefully they will agree to new engine"
No mention of a checklist or Nissan process to go through! Though from what others have said I won't hold my breath that Nissan will rollover that easy.
The dealer did say they are getting quite a few 1.2 engines back in at the moment.

After reading the bit about the cat convertor I'll make sure I raise that with them when I take it in.

One other thing, the battery completely packed up the other week! I had already booked it in for them to look at after it failed once.
They replaced the battery no problem

My QQ is a May/June 2015 model

An update on my engine situation...
The car went into the dealership on Thursday 24th November, by the Saturday they had diagnosed the car required new rings! apparently they made their diagnosis via an endoscope. They also ran tests on the CAT & said it was in good condition!
The parts had to be ordered & probably due to the number of faulty 1.2s being reported, the parts were on back order with an ETA of 17th December so they have kept the car.
I've just called the dealer today for an update - Last week they stripped the engine ready to change the rings & they found the cylinder bores were damaged!!
Nissan agreed to a new engine being fitted - Hooray!
Hopefully get the car back tomorrow just in time for Christmas.
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D
Frankiejr

Post by Frankiejr »

Any updates?
Montytb4

Post by Montytb4 »

Hi Frank,
Yes, I got the car back on the Thursday morning, they hadn't had time to clean it on Wednesday... :roll:
I asked for a copy of the warranty invoice, they have fitted a new short engine, so in other words a new block & refitted the original head & all ancillaries. Charge to Nissan £2500
So far, I haven't noticed any improvement in mpg, possibly worse, but the heating, fans, lights, etc are on most of the time at the mo.
I'll check the oil this week, I have already noticed the coolant has dropped, but the garage have put that down to an air bubble probably made its way out!
One thought I have had & should ask them about, is, could the oil that was obviously being burnt have damaged the turbo, as the turbo runs off the exhaust gases. Not sure how you could tell though.

I was in the dealers this week for the wife's Micra & some chap came in to pick his QQ up, it had also had a replacement engine under warranty - though his must have actually ran out of oil as it seized up while he was on the motorway, The dealer had his QQ for 5 weeks!!

If I find a loss in the oil level I'll post an update.
Cheers
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D