slight rattle noise when reversing

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've had my J11 a few weeks and I've noticed occasionally (about 1 in 5 times) when reversing at very low speed, e.g. out of a driveway or parking spot, I get a metallic rattley noise somewhere in front of me, exactly the same as the sound of a loose heat shield rattle which I've had before. But I've checked all the heat shields and all are nice and secure.

Not too worried about it as it's very slight, but I hate having a noise and not being able to find the source.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

At a guess it may be the intake to the airbox, this has been known to rattle?
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm I've had my J11 a few weeks and I've noticed occasionally (about 1 in 5 times) when reversing at very low speed, e.g. out of a driveway or parking spot, I get a metallic rattley noise somewhere in front of me, exactly the same as the sound of a loose heat shield rattle which I've had before. But I've checked all the heat shields and all are nice and secure.

Not too worried about it as it's very slight, but I hate having a noise and not being able to find the source.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 pm At a guess it may be the intake to the airbox, this has been known to rattle?
Does that sound like it is coming from inside the cabin/dashboard, rather than the engine compartment, as that is where mine appears to be coming from.

But why would that only happen in reverse?
Deleted User 3871

I have not suffered with this problem, but there are many threads on it. Do a quick forum search, you should find all the info quickly.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:12 am
Daewar wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 pm At a guess it may be the intake to the airbox, this has been known to rattle?
Does that sound like it is coming from inside the cabin/dashboard, rather than the engine compartment, as that is where mine appears to be coming from.

But why would that only happen in reverse?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I think I've solved it, and as I first suspected it was heat shield rattle. I originally checked from under the car that all heat shields were tight and in place.

However I had a look in the engine bay and if you look down at the back of the engine you can see a heat shield from above and one of the cables was touching the edge of it. Bent it slightly away and noise now gone.
Deleted User 3871

Chris,

Its good to see you found the culprit, it must have so satifying.
chrisw99 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:38 am I think I've solved it, and as I first suspected it was heat shield rattle. I originally checked from under the car that all heat shields were tight and in place.

However I had a look in the engine bay and if you look down at the back of the engine you can see a heat shield from above and one of the cables was touching the edge of it. Bent it slightly away and noise now gone.