Engine warning light/limp mode code P1453

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Sqashqai

Post by Sqashqai »

I have a 2014 mk2 Qashqai 1.5DCI Diesel. It has done approx. 77k miles. Just 5k out of warranty.

The car has been running perfectly and never skipped a beat since new. However on Friday I put the car into a local Vauxhall dealer (non Nissan as we are 100s of miles from one) for service and its MOT. A couple of days later and less than 100 miles later it developed the following problem:
Orange continuous engine warning light
Car lost power and went into limp mode.
I took it back to the garage and they ran a diagnostic on it and came back with the fault code P1453. They think that this could be an EGR fault. They can't be certain about this, but would cost £130 in labour to check it. However advised that it could be better to take to a Nissan dealer as they might be able to establish more accurately what the fault is with their diagnostic system. I'm inclined to get the local garage to do the work due to the 6 hour round trip to the dealer and then subsequent trips to pick up after work etc.

Can anyone confirm this fault code is connected to a problem with the EGR?
Or is there any easy fix to this?
Last edited by Sqashqai on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If you'd had last service in Nissan dealer you would have qualified probably for some goodwill, post warranty.
More miles but you'd also get free breakdown cover for succeeding year and free s/ware updates.
Your signature block gives no details of model you have eg 1.5 or 1.6dci?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Sqashqai

Post by Sqashqai »

Thanks for the reply...it's a 1.5DCi
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Try putting a cleaner thro .first cheapest option ..
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Sqashqai

Post by Sqashqai »

Thanks, will give that a go.
StewartP
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by StewartP »

Cleaner worth a try, wonder if it's a co-incidence though that issue has arisen shortly after an MOT where the engine will have been revved hard as part of test, maybe either dislodged some debris that is sticking in the EGR valve or possibly the EGR was on its way out and the extra stressing has tipped it over the edge. Be interested to know what final verdict is.
(2022) 2022 J12 E-Power Tekna
(2018) 2017 J11b 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic
(2015) 2015 1.5dci Tekna-non panoramic roof
Deleted User 8125

Post by Deleted User 8125 »

Sqashqai wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:59 pm I have a 2014 mk2 Qashqai 1.5DCI Diesel. It has done approx. 77k miles. Just 5k out of warranty.

The car has been running perfectly and never skipped a beat since new. However on Friday I put the car into a local Vauxhall dealer (non Nissan as we are 100s of miles from one) for service and its MOT. A couple of days later and less than 100 miles later it developed the following problem:
Orange continuous engine warning light
Car lost power and went into limp mode.
I took it back to the garage and they ran a diagnostic on it and came back with the fault code P1453. They think that this could be an EGR fault. They can't be certain about this, but would cost £130 in labour to check it. However advised that it could be better to take to a Nissan dealer as they might be able to establish more accurately what the fault is with their diagnostic system. I'm inclined to get the local garage to do the work due to the 6 hour round trip to the dealer and then subsequent trips to pick up after work etc.

Can anyone confirm this fault code is connected to a problem with the EGR?
Or is there any easy fix to this?

hey i got the same problem, did u get to the bottom of it?
Teejay007

Post by Teejay007 »

Same here, any answers? Did the cleaner work?
Deleted User 8125

Post by Deleted User 8125 »

Teejay007 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:46 pm Same here, any answers? Did the cleaner work?
I got an appointment with the dealership next month, cost £75 for diagnosis so will find out what they find out etc.

Its a month away as im away atm.
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

I have experienced this with a Mercedes not sure what the fault code was but on 3 occasions it was
Maf airflow sensor
Air pipe had come loose
Vacuum pressure valve
So all 3 were related to the same thing, airflow through the engine

Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1 Open/Short to B+ is the generic description for the P1453 code, but the manufacturer may have a different description

P1453 Nissan Qashqai OBD Code
OBD/2 P1453 error code description and symptoms.
Output Shaft Speed sensor circuit intermittent failure The output shaft speed sensor signal to the PCM is irregular or interrupted.
Harness connector not properly seated Harness intermittently shorted, or open Harness connector damaged OSS sensor damaged, or not installed properly Verify harness and connector integrity Verify OSS sensor proper installation.

Circuit High Input codes like P1453 are mostly caused by defective alternators that develop excessive voltages, although there may be other causes as well, such as short circuits that 'leak' current into a particular system from other, unrelated systems that work on higher voltages. Note that in the case of short circuits that leak power into a control circuit, there is likely to be other, seemingly unrelated trouble codes present along with the code(s) being investigated. Diagnosing a 'high input' code will always involve a thorough testing of the charging system as a first step, followed by measures to isolate the system from all other possible sources of power during resistance, continuity, and reference voltage tests.

Common Causes of Nissan Qashqai P1453 OBD2 Code
A common cause of code P1453 is the failure of P1453 Fuel Tank Pressure Relief Valve Malfunction, but there are several other possible causes as well, such as ;
Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
Air fuel ratio (A/F) Sensor 1 Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks
Starting system circuit Dead (Weak) battery
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights