Are Nissan being anti-competitive?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

During a recent service at my local Nissan Dealer I was advised that my rear pads are 80-85% worn and the discs are pitted.

My vehicle (’14 Qashqai Tekna fitted with Electronic Parking Brake) is now out of warranty so I purchased a set of Mintex Discs and Pads. I contacted a local independent garage to arrange to have these fitted. When I took the vehicle to have the work done it was discovered that although they have the diagnostic tester to wind back the callipers they don’t have the relevant software from Nissan.

Further enquiries lead me to believe that Nissan have not released the software. This means that if the rear pads and/or discs require replacement and the vehicle has an Electronic Parking Brake, then as things stand this work can only be undertaken by a Nissan Dealer.

What I want to know is Nissan being anti-competitive by not releasing software to enable independent garages to rewind the rear EPB. The warranty for lots of members with ’14 models is now coming to an end so is it fair that if any work is needed to be undertaken on the EPB it can only be undertaken by a Nissan dealer?

Why should we be forced to use a Main Dealership? I would like to know members feelings about this and I would also like suggestions on how I could proceed to make a case against Nissan.

Of course, I would be more than interested to know if any member knows of an independent that actually has the relevant software.
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

One interesting thing to add to this discussion, both my two previous QQs (J10s) when needing new disks/pads, turned out to be cheaper at Nissan due to their fixed pricing than it did at other places. I think it's £498 at Nissan for the full monty, front and read pads/disks. At Kwik Fit it was nearly £600, as was National Tyre.

Granted, buying the parts myself and getting them fitted somewhere as you are trying to do would have been cheaper, but for the average Joe going shopping around the main franchises, the Nissan prices weren't actually that bad.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

With increasing implementation of ESP across various car makers, I'd have thought the indies would have cracked this by now?
Did you try a few others as well. :?:
Last edited by Gel on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I suspect the software is available, its just they don't want to fork out the cost of the software so soon until there is a 'critical mass' which makes the purchase a profitable one.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I asked query of Formula 1 Autocentres; their reply below;

Hi
I have spoken to a colleague, who has advised that we are able to do rear pads on this vehicle,
the diagnostic system we use allows this.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Hi Gel

Very interesting. I wonder if you are able to find what diagnostic system they use.

Regards and thanks

Ken
chosan

Post by chosan »

teknaken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:59 am Hi Gel

Very interesting. I wonder if you are able to find what diagnostic system they use.

Regards and thanks

Ken
There are tons of them here: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... tic+nissan
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

chosan wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:10 am
teknaken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:59 am Hi Gel

Regards and thanks

Ken
There are tons of them here: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... tic+nissan
And I wonder if you have checked whether they work on Nissan Qashqai (J11). The first on the list 'Foxwell' does not have the Nissan Qashqai EPB software. I have actually been to independent workshops who 'think' they have the relevant software only to discover that they don't when they plug the diagnostic tester into the car.
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

UPDATE

i have today found an independent workshop able to replace rear discs and pads and reset EPB.
The equipment used is a Bosch KTS 2016 diagnostic tester.

It was demonstarated to me plugged into my QQ. All looks good so the work is scheduled to be undertaken on Tuesday.