Tapping noise in rear on straight roads

Bodywork & Interior problems
neiltuck
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by neiltuck »

Hi everyone, I'm getting an annoying tapping noise from the rear area, I've tighten everything up, seating positions ok, seat belts locked in position, empty boot, nothing loose in the car, parcel shelf out, tapping when driving on straight roads very annoying, checked under car all good.
Any ideas????

Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Boot hinges? Had that in another car and couldn't find it for ages
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

Exhaust silencer making contact with something? Loose heat shield? Is it definitely at the back? I found that with the driver's seat set back, the lower part of the seat belt assembly tapped against the plastic seat base.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
switchback

Post by switchback »

Mine is going in next week for the same thing. They've had 2 attempts at finding it so far but never resolved it, after sales manager is now on the case along with the erratic washer jet direction problem. I'll let you know how I get on.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
switchback

Post by switchback »

The tapping noise is now fixed.....................they had to remove the head lining as the noise came from one of the top rear corners where several panels are spot welded together at roof level. They "adjusted" the panel contact points that were moving very slightly and creaking under body deflection. They have had it once before with another Qashqai. New washer jet fitted as well.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
RoadKnight

Post by RoadKnight »

I have a two-year old QQ, 2 litre petrol TI model in Australia - with panorama roof. In the past six months it has started to develop an intermittent ticking or clicking noise that seems to originate from the rear of the cabin at speeds of between 40 and 60 kmh. It does not seem to be related to uneven surfaces and can occur on quite smooth roads. On some days it is much worse than others. However it is getting progressively worse. The noise itself is not unlike that which would be produced by small stones being flicked up against the wheel arches by a tyre.

I took the car to my local Nissan dealer and their diagnosis was that it was due to the body flexing - the technician said that this was a particular problem with QQ models with glass roofs. They worked on the car for a day and a half and fitted the Nissan-recommended body stiffening kit. This apparently entailed removing the roof lining and re-mounting the rear door, inserting a gap.

When I picked it up, the noise was almost gone, with just a very occasional click. However after a couple of weeks have passed, the ticking is back to what is was before, if not worse.

I do not believe it is caused by air movement through the cabin - I have played around with the air vent settings and front and rear windows open and closed - and even taped up the rear cabin air expulsion vents. I have driven the car with the rear door partially open. All of these have absolutely no impact on the noise. I am very suspicious of the blind assembly being the culprit, however I am unable to confirm this.

I will take it back in again to the dealer next week but was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems with their cars? I have looked at other threads to to do with ticking nosies, however these do not seem to be what I am experiencing.

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Guy
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Different car years ago, aerial was loose in its base. That caused clicking.
Youve eliminated the windows but could it be the pano roof moving slighty, even just a fraction of a millimetre?
Ps, ive never even heard of a 'body stiffening kit', certainly not one that involves removing the roof lining and a door!
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

In a similar post earlier this month, the solution was:

"The tapping noise is now fixed... they had to remove the head lining as the noise came from one of the top rear corners where several panels are spot welded together at roof level. They adjusted the panel contact points that were moving very slightly and creaking under body deflection."

As you suspect, the roof blind has been known to make odd noises, too.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
switchback

Post by switchback »

Hound wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 am In a similar post earlier this month, the solution was:

"The tapping noise is now fixed... they had to remove the head lining as the noise came from one of the top rear corners where several panels are spot welded together at roof level. They adjusted the panel contact points that were moving very slightly and creaking under body deflection."
Not fixed.......................it's started doing it again :x .
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Not fixed.......................it's started doing it again :x .
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.