1.6 DCI - Steering wheel groan & 1st gear judder

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
unclened
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by unclened »

Hi all,

I'm hoping for a little bit of advice here. I have a 2013 QQ+2 1.6DCI and starting to notice a few issues:

1) Steering wheel groans and makes a rhythmic knocking sound when under light to moderate steering pressure like going around a roundabout or turning a corner. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to be worrying.

2) Car has started to judder slightly in 1st gear when pulling off. Car has done 55k and isn't thrashed about at all and I'm really hoping its not a new clutch or DMF job :(

I have both booked in to my local independent garage (who I trust), but I am wondering how easy these jobs are to diagnose? I read that 1st gear judder can sometimes be a symptom of the hydraulic fluid linked to the clutch? I want to make sure my garage don't overlook this when they diagnose the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
2013 Qashqai +2 1.6DCI

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The knocking sounds like your cv joints.
unclened
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by unclened »

Thank you gvmdaddy, I'll inspect the car tonight. Is it worth mentioning that the sound feels like it's coming from the steering column and it's almost 'whoomp whoomp'? I'm concerned the electronic powering steering could be at fault. I had a Fiat Punto that had an ESP die and was an expensive repair :(
2013 Qashqai +2 1.6DCI
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If it is the pump is failing, consider a repair / reconditioned unit over a new part. Many of these things get reconditioned and are far cheaper.
unclened wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:44 pm Thank you gvmdaddy, I'll inspect the car tonight. Is it worth mentioning that the sound feels like it's coming from the steering column and it's almost 'whoomp whoomp'? I'm concerned the electronic powering steering could be at fault. I had a Fiat Punto that had an ESP die and was an expensive repair :(