Tapping noise in rear on straight roads

Bodywork & Interior problems
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Plug in any unused rear seatbelts, I've had issues with noises from them before, plugged in they were silent. Another issue I had with my J10 was solved by wedging in a tea towel in between the roof and roof liner at the back just behind the rear nearside passengers head (that too sounded a bit 'tappy')

Additionally I also plugged in a small sponge above the rear passenger roof light as the padding there was also causing noise.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)

Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

switchback wrote:Not fixed.......................it's started doing it again :x
Curses! :(
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
RoadKnight

Post by RoadKnight »

Thanks for those great suggestions. The problem with the weld in the rear corner of the car sounds like a very probable cause of the noise.

The blind assembly moving around is possible, however working against this theory is the fact that the noise continues unchanged irrespective of whether the blind is open or closed.

The suggestion that this is a huge piece of glass in the pano roof, made me think - I had not considered this. There must be a lot of expansion and contraction in this glass panel and maybe the glass is managing to contact metal somewhere. I will definitely investigate further and try holding my hand against it to see if this causes a change in the noise.

The car is booked in again for later this week - fingers crossed!

If anyone is interested, the Nissan Technical Bulletin that covered the fitting of the stiffening kit is "BT 17-001 on J11 Qashqai body creaking noise from rear roof area."
Craig_Broadbent

Post by Craig_Broadbent »

Could be heatshield hitting exhaust. Might be possible to bend away.
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

How about... Nail/stone/screw in a tyre?
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)
ijw1
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ijw1 »

i have 15 plate tekna and have the same problem after a close inspection we found the roof-rail had came loose both nuts had fell off r-n-s hope it helps
ijw1
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ijw1 »

loose roof-rail we had same problem nuts came off
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

I had similar issue thinking it was the tools in the spare wheel kit. Dealer said it was loose bolts/nuts for the rear boot door or boot shelf. All fixed now!
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
duncho

Post by duncho »

I have exactly the same problem. It is so annoying, especially when kids are sleeping in rear.

I tried to find root cause and I noticed it is coming from rear roof top area somewhere behind headlining on left hand side. Partial opening of tailgate has no effect, but when fully opened, sharp metal ticking / tapping noise is gone completely. It is also temperature depended and most cases occurring on bumpy uneven roads when car tends to bend diagonally "left front - right rear / rear front - left rear". I suspect body welding, roof rails fitting or pano-roof bolts. My car is out of warranty and during warranty none of dealers could eliminate this.

At certain constellation (temperature, road conditions or maybe even humidity) the noise is so intense and occurring so frequently that it drives me insane!

@ RoadKnigh
could you please share the bulletin "BT17-001 on J11 Qashqai body creaking noise from rear roof area" you mentioned? I can't find it. Thank you
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
duncho

Post by duncho »

switchback wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:21 pm Not fixed.......................it's started doing it again :x .
Try open a tailgate and drive with it while fully open whether this will stop the noise. It did in my case. Then we will at least confirm that we have exactly the same issue.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=31&p=51856#p51856
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!