1.2DIG-T J11 Turbo Failure twice

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
csimeon

Post by csimeon »

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me on this. I purchased a Nissan Qashqai J11 in September 2015 and since there, it has been back to the Agency more often that required. The agency has had to change the battery 5 times over 2 years, including the Radiator Fan and Horn as well. In February this year (2017), the turbo failed and I had to wait for 6 weeks for the turbo to be replaced.

So, this friday I was driving to work at the average speed of 60kmh, and the whistling sound of the turbo (the first time the turbo "whistled" , it failed, thus "the whistle of death"), and I could smell burning oil. From my review mirror, I could see a cloud of fumes trailing the car, so I pull over to wait for roadside assistance from the Nissan Agency.

I have been informed today by the Agency that the turbo unit has failed again and it caused the engine to misfire. Since they have already changed the turbo once, I doubt if changing the turbo again will sort out the issue once and for all since the turbo issue resurfaced after the first change. The car has only 50,000km on there and has never been in any accident whatsoever.

In this case, I am trying to see the possibility of nissan buying back the car or replacing it.

Is this issue common to Nissan Qashqai J11?

Have anyone had their defective qasqhai replaced or bought back by nissan?

Best regards,

Cyril
Nissan Qashqai 2015 Fiery Red J11 - Tecna - Reg: 2015 | Location: Seychelles |Dealership: Nissan Seychelles (Nissan South Africa subsidiary)

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

5 battery's .....are they all the same make..... most are changed to another manf
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Turbo failure is rarely mentioned here, so puzzled at your predicament. Perhaps in forum signature area, you can add your LOCATION, model of QQ & year of registration.
Unclear as to what the agency you refer to is; do you mean Nissan dealer (Official garage)?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
csimeon

Post by csimeon »

Hi Gel,

I have updated my Forum Signature. The Nissan Qashqai J11 (year 2015), was purchased from the Official Nissan Dealer in Seychelles. From what I have gathered, they are now preparing a technical report to send to Nissan South Africa for a way forward. I feel reluctant to accept another turbo change since it would seem that so far they have been unable to get to the real issue causing the turbo to fail.

Gel wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:19 am Turbo failure is rarely mentioned here, so puzzled at your predicament. Perhaps in forum signature area, you can add your LOCATION, model of QQ & year of registration.
Unclear as to what the agency you refer to is; do you mean Nissan dealer (Official garage)?
Nissan Qashqai 2015 Fiery Red J11 - Tecna - Reg: 2015 | Location: Seychelles |Dealership: Nissan Seychelles (Nissan South Africa subsidiary)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I thought all turbos "whistled". The J10 was particularly noted for it, sounded like a kettle going off. J11s not as bad but turbos do make lots of noises.

Please describe your turbo whistle of death in more detail?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
csimeon

Post by csimeon »

The turbo whistle basically sounded like a police siren. It varies from low pitch to high and as I slowed Down, it metallic sound could be heard from the engine bay. I was later told by the Nissan techs that this was the damaged turbo blades. Following that, the chassis control error showed up on the car and the turbo stopped functioning completely.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Was it very loud? Every car with a turbo I've owned has made the siren sound but you usually have to strain your ears very hard to hear it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T