Merc with i key theft caught on video

The place to discuss everything else..
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-42132689

Keep your QQ i keys well away from front doors when parked; ideally place in a galvanised bucket perhaps!

:o
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hi Gel, I also read this BBC article this morning and it appears to be the same old Situation. This subject keeps raising it head and we have covered this on several Posts before. It still appears that no solution is being assessed to overcome this Problem by the Manufacturers, so it still Looks like the QQ Owners have to look after themselves _ Dave ;)
Out of Interest has any Forum Member purchased this or a similiar product to minimise this known Problem ??

We are still using our "Themis" Security Wallet and have just got hold of another for our Spare Key, these are still available on Amazon. Our Dealership Owner has recently asked me for Details out of interest, so that they can assess this system as they again got stuck when they changed my wheels and the QQ would not function - whoops forgot to change compartments. :roll:
Here are the Forum Facts (3x) again but also (2x) new ones if of interest ,hopefully this is not again too Boring. PS I am not an Employee of this Co. ! just an interested person

Mercedes April 2017 viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5233&p=47057&hilit ... ity#p47056

ADAC German Testing May 2017 viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5349&hilit=themis+security

Bundpol Security / Themis Nov 2016 viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4001&start=10&hili ... s+security

http://www.themissecurity.de/

https://threatpost.com/key-fob-hack-all ... rs/119846/

Premium GEN 4 Car Key Bag
Premium Gen 4 - Protects all wireless keys of various car manufacturers from copying and extending the radio signal. High-quality Nano plastics from the German automotive industry with Soft Touch outside, inside a 4-layered shielding fabric, 2 compartments, one is 100% shielded for protection and one is not shielded, to use the vehicle as usual. The Faraday cage principle is only given to a 100%, if no connection (tape, key ring, etc.) remains to the outside of the bag. When you insert the key all the way into the shielded slot, it is 100% blocked.

Out of Interest here is a Sectioned one just to Show the Layering :

P1090652 - Kopie.JPG

P1090653.JPG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel

Post by Gel »

Dave, are these incidents happening in Deutschland too Dave??
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, all I can say is Yes (all over, the US as well as it is the same principle on most cars) but how many I not sure of. Reports pop up now and again in the press or car magazines, but as you well know because you have mentioned them the ADAC which is the biggest Motoring Organisation in Germany that have done the tests and reports as well as the TV.
IMHO Car Owners do not know about how easy it is to steal cars with these electronic devices which are available on the web from for example Amazon.
Cars are also stolen to order now for stripping down and reselling the spares, ok in the main they are the expensive models but there again a QQ just is not that cheap to many including me. :D
Gel, if you have not done this before just do me a favour and wrap your key up in Aluminium Foil and you will see how it stops functioning - Opening or starting your QQ. For such a small outlay once you get in the rythym of changing your key around within the Fob / Wallet it is a doddle.
Hope this helps - Dave ;)

This is Old but take a read :

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... ft.warning
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just found this as an example in Germany with some stated hints similiar to those already posted - Dave :)

https://www.stripes.com/news/thieves-ne ... s-1.488788
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Guys, a very simple thing to do at home is to put your keys in a well fitting draw. It would not need lining with lead or anything at all as the energy the fob emits would never permutate solid materials.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, Great idea if it works but this might only solve the problem of copying the keys when laying around at home and I am not going to carry a cupboard around on my back for car park use. :lol:
The other method of stealing cars is when parking in a car park and that is why the Fob / Wallet is also useful, lock the car and immediately stuff the key in the protected compartment of the Fob / Wallet.
This System of Car Park stealing has been widely reported on TV and in the Car Mags. At the end of the day the decision has to come from the car owner, protect for a minimal outlay or not. Our decision has been made and it works - Thanks for your comment Dave :)
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Whilst this is always worrying, you will note most headline articles don't mention how far these repeaters appear to work over. One article I found indicates that the main scanning device needs to be within about 10 feet of the key. That's not to say this won't change in the future but for now the risk is far smaller than some seem to think. Sensible precautions are most likely to nearly nullify the risk at present.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

This seems to be a problem with high end cars, most probably stolen to order. A friend of mine slept with his car keys under his pillow years ago when houses were getting broken into for car keys. This way is now the more 'cleaner' way of getting access to your car. Has anybody had a ghost immobiliser fitted? Not sure how it affects warranty but they look like the only thing to stop this from happening. Local firm do this... https://youtu.be/ruCag256yws
Upgraded from J10 Tekna to J11......let the fun begin!
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jeep, Take a look at this post if you have not already done so. When I contacted this Co. Bundpol in Apr 2016 they had developed a „SecuKey“ System (then €248) working with the Police & Government, which is most likely similiar to what you have mentioned.

viewtopic.php?t=4001

http://www.bundpol.com/tech-close/secukey.htm

http://www.bundpol.com/tech-open/qkey-english.htm

fbgqashqai, Obviously the distance is debatable but keys are also being copied close up to the car owner or for example in hotel receptions (standing near a person) so it makes you think, plus credit cards are also being highlighted. This tends to make you think what is safe these days - Dave ;)