1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
paplane

Post by paplane »

ABliss wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 pm Hi guys,

I just bought a 2015 qashqai 1.2 dig-t Acenta. Only just saw this thread today (I've not received the car yet, it's on its way). I've purchased from Arnold Clark and its got 17k miles on it.

What the hell do I do now? Can't refuse receipt of the car as we really need it for work and baby. Warranty runs out in June this year and we have the option of additional warranty.

I'm going to mention the engine issues. But what rights do I have when the vehicle runs out of warranty?
Also, is the oil level the only sign I should be looking for when assessing if the engine is going to require replacing?
I find this entire thread a little annoying really because I've had absolutely no problem at all with my 2014 1.2 and I'm sure I'm among thousands of other owners who've never had problems either.

There may well have been a few isolated early problems with this particular engine but this thread keeps growing as if there's an ongoing and continual problem. I'm sure it's affecting the 2nd hand value of the 1.2's now.

A11MED
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by A11MED »

The dreaded 1.2 Qashqai

Bought brand new May 2017 - hardly done 5000 miles.
Took to dealers due to engine making mild noises at low revs.

They’ve boiled it down to vehicle drinking too much oil.

They’ve kindly topped it up and ask me to revisit them a few weeks later..

Was there a few days ago after hardly doing 100 miles and get told it needed more oil.

Now been told to do another 2000 miles and return if still drinking oil then they need to replace the engine...

WHAT a JOKE
Percy

Post by Percy »

Sorry to hear that, I find it hard to believe that this is still going on from a large manufacturer. You are right it is a joke.
2016 1.2 Ink Blue with glass roof.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Why is the engine emissions sensor not picking up that the engine is burning oil.....need to keep check on all our oil levels with the dipstick...david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
m112

Post by m112 »

My qashqai 15 plate may have the same problem, few days ago checked the dipstick and it was 5mm oil level from the min level - we only did 2500miles since service last year which may indicate an issue.

Been to Nissan and they topped up the level and asked to come back in 3000miles or when the oil level below minium.

The problem is that warranty expires in 4 months and dont know how long it will take to do this 3000 miles.

Has the warranty been extended for this problem, whats the best way forward?

Cheers
A11MED

Post by A11MED »

YOU wanna kick off big time .. threaten solicitors - trading standards and whatever you have at your disposal ... so as they either extend the warranty or give you some disclaimer that this engine plus oil issue is covered under the pre existing warranty ...
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

m112 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:38 pm My qashqai 15 plate may have the same problem, few days ago checked the dipstick and it was 5mm oil level from the min level - we only did 2500miles since service last year which may indicate an issue.

Been to Nissan and they topped up the level and asked to come back in 3000miles or when the oil level below minium.

The problem is that warranty expires in 4 months and dont know how long it will take to do this 3000 miles.

Has the warranty been extended for this problem, whats the best way forward?

Cheers
Best way forward, seriously, is to consider the Nissan extended warranty, (assuming it's been serviced at the main dealer so far), you can only get it before your original warranty is up and it's fairly cheap compared to 3rd party warranties, was £299 for another 12 months I think, and you get the full Nissan manufacturers warranty. I went for another 2 years on my 14 plate so still got warranty till March 2019.

When you think about the cost of a new engine, or some of the other common problems like the air con condenser, you are usually talking hundreds if not thousands so it's a small price to pay in my opinion.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Nissan will not 'extend' the warranty regarding the oil loss issue as standard. There maybe a small amount of room if there are problems straight after but you will be on your own at the 3 year mark*

However, if you kick off with Nissan Customer Services, you may get some mileage regarding extended warranty as good will..... this is the direction I took HOWEVER to help keep things 'simple', you really should get your car serviced at Nissan rather than a local independent so keep this in mind when factoring in costs.

* = You could always go down the road of sales of goods act, or what ever it is now which can give you protection up to 6 years, and given there is a known manuf fault then this should back you up - KEEP DOCUMENTATION AND NOTES REGARDING VISISTS to back up your claims though!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I didn't mean where there was an existing fault, I meant in general there's so many issues with the QQ the extended warranty seems a no-brainer these days.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
m112

Post by m112 »

chrisw99 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Best way forward, seriously, is to consider the Nissan extended warranty, (assuming it's been serviced at the main dealer so far), you can only get it before your original warranty is up and it's fairly cheap compared to 3rd party warranties, was £299 for another 12 months I think, and you get the full Nissan manufacturers warranty. I went for another 2 years on my 14 plate so still got warranty till March 2019.

When you think about the cost of a new engine, or some of the other common problems like the air con condenser, you are usually talking hundreds if not thousands so it's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Thanks Chris

I just called them and the warranty is £399 will likely buy it at the end of warranty, as you said there is actually no other way round it now