Engine warning light - no performance change

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Cameronw89

Post by Cameronw89 »

Hi all, My engine warning light (amber) came on around 5 days ago. I've not experienced any change in performance or anything different really.
I've had bad experiences with the dealer so I'm reluctant to go in for them to diagnose.
I've been looking at code readers but I'm not sure what one is best to go for. Hoping to get one that can also reset the light, if possible.
My car is a 15 plate 1.6 dci N-TEC . Any help would be appreciated :)

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Try find another dealer?
Cameronw89 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:28 am Hi all, My engine warning light (amber) came on around 5 days ago. I've not experienced any change in performance or anything different really.
I've had bad experiences with the dealer so I'm reluctant to go in for them to diagnose.
I've been looking at code readers but I'm not sure what one is best to go for. Hoping to get one that can also reset the light, if possible.
My car is a 15 plate 1.6 dci N-TEC . Any help would be appreciated :)
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Are you still in warranty?
If so, not your £worry£.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Funnily enough my engine malfunction light (amber) lit up today. This is only a month on from me having numerous visits to my local Nissan dealer with stop/start system failure, cruise control and speed limiter failure and the illuminated engine malfunction light. I had a new battery, new air intake temperature sensor fitted all under warranty, so am wondering what the next thing to fail is. I am away next week so need the car, but as soon as I get home, if the malfunction light is still on, I will be on to the dealer to get it sorted as the car is still under warranty. The dealer did tell me not to worry too much if the amber light is on, as I had to wait over a week for them to get the new air intake sensor in, but was told it was fine to use the car, but may notice a slight change in fuel consumption, which I didn't.

As Daewar suggests, could you not try another dealer? I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about returning to my dealer again, as I have encountered numerous problems, but at the end of the day if the car is under warranty, they need to sort it.

Although I love the Qq, I have never encountered so many faults and problems owning a Nissan, and this is the 15th car I have owned since I began driving. It is the first and last Nissan I will ever buy!

Good luck
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
rolledstone

Post by rolledstone »

Have a look at this post... may help. I was getting similar problems, turned out to be a blocked pipe between the manifold and the exhaust gas pressure sensor.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4994
2014 Qashqai Tekna
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Are you sure it isn’t one of the service warning reminders that can be set and reset and cancelled in the dashboard?
B Ogbrush

Post by B Ogbrush »

I experienced this, it was a faulty battery, new one fitted under Nissan warranty, no more problems.
2023 Nissan Qashqai e-Power Tekna Ink Blue

[Gone 2016 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Tekna Xtronic]
[Gone Mercedes S Class W220]
[Gone Range Rover Vogue]
Savros

Post by Savros »

Having a engine lights means a sensor is getting wrong measurement. It can be a fault of the sensor itself. The fact that you are not experiencing any performance issues doestl not mean that you should ignore it. A simple example would be a faulty lamda sensor where u won't feel any performance issues but your ecu receives the wrong signal with means your fuel mix is not what it should be. Although short term this won't cause you any problems ...Long term will affect your engine and components (egr valve, dpf)

Getting a scanner will only allow you to have an idea of where the fault is so when u go to garage at least you know what to expect !! Clearing the fault won't help as the light will come up again since the problem is not fixed and still there...! Suggest you go to a dealer to diagnose asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Okay. So back from my few days away and engine malfunction light still glowing amber! I did a good few hundred miles whilst away and the car performed fine, infact I would say the fuel consumption was a little better on a long run. Anyway, have booked the car in to be looked at next Wednesday. It's already had a new battery and a new air intake temperature sensor fitted under warranty. Would anyone like to place any bets as to what the next problem is?

By the way Cameron, did you get your car sorted? If so what was the fault with yours?

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Update! Car went in today and this time the fault was down to an oxygen sensor, which was replaced under warranty. So the car now has a new battery, new air intake temperature sensor and a new oxygen sensor. Not holding my breath, but hoping all will be okay with the car now.

Has anybody had any other sensors fail!?

Doug