Tapping noise in rear on straight roads

Bodywork & Interior problems
duncho

Post by duncho »

Do it yourself, before applying putty, it is necessary slightly bend (without deformation) all welded point areas. Amazingly quiet now :-)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!

Nomader

Post by Nomader »

Do you mean we should break the welding points?? Or just bend around so we can put more putty in between?
duncho

Post by duncho »

Exactly as I wrote "slightly bend (without deformation)". You will notice that each time you apply a little force in those areas where I applied the putty, there will be audible ticking noise. Sometimes louder, sometimes just tiny tapping/ticking noise. It sounds like the whole body is under the preasure-tension and jyst by slight force applied, the tension between the points relieves.
Also I bought automotive wax in spray, which helps avoiding corosion and I applied that in each gap where I saw some formation of rust and where due to tiny gap I wouldn't be able to apply any putty. Seems all of above helped to release the tensions in rear car body and results in amazingly quiet drive.

Nomader

Post by Nomader »

ok, just writing to let you know that my tapping noise is finally gone!!
I did exactly as @duncho did except the wax and i can finally enjoy the silence!!
i did use another sealant though as being an architect i am quiet familiar with those.. so i used a polyurethane sealant in white color..
it is stronger and harder than sylicone and more durable. the only downside is that it is very smelly.. so i left the boot open and windows for the night.. in the morning no trace of the smell could be found.
the funnny thing is that nissan greece has no idea whatsoever about how to solve the issue.. they could not even find the mentioned technical bulletin..
thank you duncho
duncho

Post by duncho »

Nomader, I'm happy for you, I know how it feels, the silent is an incredible joy, like driving another car! :)
Forget about the dealership.. that is why this forum is here to help others and share ideas which only few people knows about ;-)

Nomader

Post by Nomader »

i hear you man...this took 3 months out of my life... i would not be able to cope with that.. i was really thinking of selling the car... it is like driving anther car indeed.
By the way how did you find about the noise location? very difficult to spot.. was the location mentioned on the technical bulletin?
duncho

Post by duncho »

I had suffered this colorful noise after 2 months since I bought my car. Dealers useless... I disassembled the roof headlining, panoramic roof and checked everything but no results. Meanwhile I sound deadened the roof. I could not locate the noise, the only thing I found out that noise stopped when tailgate was open. After 3.5 years when my car was at a dealership in Germany with other fault, technician mentioned that they can fix that so I asked him for details and he was so kind to share.

b0n3
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by b0n3 »

Hello guys, I faced with the same issue.
My car is QuashQai 2015 with Pano roof.
Asked my local Nissan Dealer to solve this issue, but unfortunately they don't know whhat to do with it....
P.s: I am from Russia - Moscow.
duncho

Post by duncho »

Hi b0n3
welcome on the forum! Please follow this instructions which help you to get rid of the noise:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5677&sid=942f3d275 ... =40#p55654

The problem is caused by tension in welded points of the rear car body. What you need to do is to relief the tension between welded points by attempting to slightly banding them until you hear "tick" sound. Do it with use of a plastic tool for disassembling the interior car parts carefully so that you only relief the tension, but not fracture the car body. By using a screw driver or any metal tool you may damage anticorrosion protection. You can also fill in the gaps with a putty as I did. So far it still is quiet for me :)
Last edited by duncho on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nomader

Post by Nomader »

duncho wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:37 am Hi b0n3
welcome on the forum! Please follow this instructions which help you to get rid of the noise:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5677&sid=942f3d275 ... =40#p55654
couldn't agree more..
what duncho did actually was a life saver for me. you can do it yourself.. just follow the guide