Buying Used 1.2 Petrol or 1.6 Diesel Xtronic?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Tron05
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Tron05 »

Hi guys,

Was passing by from a google search that lead me here and found this thread very relevant to me. Hope i get good advice to make a informed decision

I am on a lookout to buy a used crossover/suv with the following requirements in order of priority :
1. Seating comfort(spouse has road sickness. It seems better if the seats are comfortable)
2. Automatic (restricted by spouse's licence)
2. Driveability( a bit of a sprightly drive)
3. Lots of town driving on 30/40 for 4 miles + weekly longish 40 mile drive

Had settled for a 2014/2015 Qashqai 1.6 cvt, but looking at the threads here, seems to be a bad idea. Had opted for the 1.6 diesel due to the issues with 1.2 petrol and hoping dpf wouldn't hit me.

If this is a bad choice, could you recommend any pre-loved crossover/suv in my range(10-15k)

Thanks in advance!

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

My 2014 1.2 petrol has just been diagnosed as needing a new timing chain, at 34000 miles. This engine is advertised as having a "lifetime timing chain".

Getting a new chain under warranty (eventually, I'm in a queue due to the backlog). Was told it's a common issue and 1000s are now needing it done, although haven't read much about it on here. Think it's something just coming out of the woodwork now.

Only causes a rattle though, they have stressed it is just the noise that is the issue and no problems driving it as normal.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

1. QQ has good seats, so thumbs up.
2. Yes there is an auto, but its CVT & it has many cases of poor reliability. Thumbs down.
3. No QQ has a sprightly drive. But I guess it depends on your perception of sprightly.
4. Sounds like you need a town car? We have a SMART car with auto box. It has a high up driving position (feels much bigger inside) and its very nippy / sprightly up to say 60mph. If you only need 2 seats & room for 4 shopping bags it would be my recommendation. Also does about 65mpg out of town, very easy to park and turns on a sixpence.
Tron05 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:59 am I am on a lookout to buy a used crossover/suv with the following requirements in order of priority :
1. Seating comfort(spouse has road sickness. It seems better if the seats are comfortable)
2. Automatic (restricted by spouse's licence)
2. Driveability( a bit of a sprightly drive)
3. Lots of town driving on 30/40 for 4 miles + weekly longish 40 mile drive
Tron05
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Tron05 »

Thanks @Daewar

Yes, i have read about the performance of Qashqai and its kind of a compromise i am making in favour of comfort.. This would be the second car in the house, first been a 3 door petrol automatic honda, that does all the work for now.. So looking for a suv that can double up as some town driving and motorway trips...
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

Have a 2016 1.6 diesel xtronic bought at 6 months old 2 years ago apart from a Minor recall for rerouting a pipe and a software update needed for the gearbox its been totally reliable. With 130 bhp not fantastically fast but more than adequate and she picks up her skirts admirably if using box in manual mode. Mpg around mid 40’s which disappointed me initially coming from a company Audi A4 ultra se auto diesel which on the motorway where I spent most of my time saw mid 60’s but better than 18 from my petrol Range Rover.
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
Pedro500
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Pedro500 »

Hello Folks,

Just paid a deposit for a petrol CVT Qashqai last week, though upon a short test drive, at a Car Supermarket in London. It's a 2015 model with only nearly 25K miles. I did notice a strange whirling noise upon acceleration, which the young salesman contributed to Turbo noise kicking in. Anyway the wife liked the Qashqai due to high riding and good interiors and I told the Salesman to ask their pre delivery inspection to look at the noise.

However, after few days, we got a call from the retailer that the car is in their workshop and they ordered timing chain kit and oil filter and it would take another few days for the car to be ready for collection. I was shocked that they had failed to spot the fault on their vehicle on their pre-sale 'thorough' inspection. If I had taken the car on the same day, then I would have had a nasty surprise.

I'm thinking is it wise to still pursue the Qashqai, but knowing the fault will be rectified and collect it or take the deposit back and chose another make?

Now they won't compensate me for the delay and only offered me the refund on my deposit.

Don't know what to do.
Bgmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bgmick »

Donamos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 pm does NISSAN Qashqai +2 2.0 dCi 4WD tekna Automatic year 2008-2009 has the issue with "CVT" ???
I'm sure I read the 2ltr 4wd diesel used a conventional auto box rather than cvt.... can't remember where I read that
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Pedro500 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:40 pm Hello Folks,

Just paid a deposit for a petrol CVT Qashqai last week, though upon a short test drive, at a Car Supermarket in London. It's a 2015 model with only nearly 25K miles. I did notice a strange whirling noise upon acceleration, which the young salesman contributed to Turbo noise kicking in. Anyway the wife liked the Qashqai due to high riding and good interiors and I told the Salesman to ask their pre delivery inspection to look at the noise.

However, after few days, we got a call from the retailer that the car is in their workshop and they ordered timing chain kit and oil filter and it would take another few days for the car to be ready for collection. I was shocked that they had failed to spot the fault on their vehicle on their pre-sale 'thorough' inspection. If I had taken the car on the same day, then I would have had a nasty surprise.

I'm thinking is it wise to still pursue the Qashqai, but knowing the fault will be rectified and collect it or take the deposit back and chose another make?

Now they won't compensate me for the delay and only offered me the refund on my deposit.

Don't know what to do.
Compensation? Pull the other one! You have not even paid for it yet.

They are repairing it, as they should, and pro-actively too, so good on them. However, a petrol CVT Qashqai is not one I'd be queuing up for and I would not hesitate taking the opportunity to get my deposit back to find some other car.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It can be quite common for known faults not to be repaired until a customer is buying a car, then they usually agree to fix all the faults you find. Had this a few times, even on a new car with a name starting with the letter Q.

Don't know what to do.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Don't know what to do.
Which engine is it, the 1.2 ? If so, then the timing chain is a lifetime timing chain. If they are ordering a timing chain kit, that suggests the fault is the well known one that requires engine replacement. A new timing chain will hide the fault for a bit but it would come back.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T