My first Nissan..

New to the Nissan QashQai Forums? Introduce yourself here
Rab15
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Rab15 »

Thanks Dave I must admit although having said it I was abit dubious about doing anything to the panel myself, I did look on ebay without quoting what panel it was and the first 3 were rear door nearside :lol: , £25 and £35, but they were not only scratched but lugs broken off.
Daewar I think it has always been in the back of my mind to maybe contact Nissan so thanks for the details I will see what they say sometime during the week and see how they deal with the issue as it is a manufacturing fault, as said it can only be a no or yes at the end of the day :D
Nissan Qashqai Connecta J11 - Ink Blue - 18" wheels 2017 1.5dci

Rab15

Post by Rab15 »

Not sure why I am posting as there is nothing I can do but I guess I feel like venting. I contacted Nissan at the address someone kindly gave me on here, they more or less said I would have to visit a dealership for them to have a look and they would go from there.
I visited a local dealership a fella came out run his hand across the panel and admitted it felt rough, while explaining why it was like it was he run his fingertips across it and left white lines on it, probably dead skin from his fingers, I would say that was rough.
He said it was due to a product obviously meaning I or someone used something on it to make it go like that, I replied no it isn’t I have certainly not used anything vigorous on it and the panel with it’s faulty texture is both constant and uniform giving me the impression it was manufactured that way.
Although he sounded reluctant to do anything about it my wife recalls him saying to get in contact with Nissan again and he would support me, I did not seem too convinced even though he hinted to eventually agree with me about the panel.
Some days later I got a call from a young lady from Nissan we got through a few pleasantries and she asked me what the problem was and I explained, she then went off line for a while and came back and said she read the report from the garage and based on that they would not replace the panel, nice one man at the garage he obviously said something detrimental to what I said and obviously did not support me, charming.
I sent an email back to Nissan with my polite but obvious displeasure in Nissan and customer service, what more can I say the panel has a faulty finish which in my opinion got through three inspections 1. At the point of manufacture of the panel 2. Inspection of the car when it was completed 3. DPI.
Whose fault is it then I ask myself if not Nissans who fitted the part and allowed it to go through for sale. The man at the garage said the part would not be very expensive so why is it so hard for them to replace it or do they not want to admit it is their fault.
The thing is I cannot clean it with a cloth and come winter with salt on the roads I am going to have to use something like a finger nail brush, I don’t think I am whinging unnecessarily, it is a fault it is an error on someone’s part other than mine and I have to live with it.
Does anyone know what the price is for the panel?
Rab15

Post by Rab15 »

I wonder if anybody on here will know but I have always assumed that most plastic parts ejected from a mould would generally have the face side with a finish that required no further preparation only maybe excess bits of plastic to be trimmed from the back etc.

Would some plastic panels be manufactured deliberately with a rough surface for better adhesion of paints? I know that car plastic is painted but is it always on to a smooth surface I appreciate they use base coats that etch to the plastic and then use top coat colour, but do some car manufacturers including Nissan use such methods?

Clutching at straws maybe but there is a reason my panel is perfectly wrong and I find it hard to accept that three personnel of Nissan seem not to believe me one of which had seen and felt the panel. I am thinking of looking to see if I have a well established body shop local to me to find out what their knowledge is on plastic panels with their experience.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Rab15, your assumptions are correct. I was in the Molding Game most of my working life but producing smaller parts. Generally to produce a Textured part the Mold Cavity / Core which are of Hardened Steel has a Surface Finish (Textured) burnt into it by Spark Erosion / EDM Mcing using an Electrode. Whatever is on this Electrode will be seen on the finished part. For example if there is a damage / scratch on the Mold surface or if this fault is polished out it will be seen on the plastic part.
Parts can be trimmed by removing the Sprue / Runner (where the plastic flows through) or after finished manually or using Robotics, but the tendency was too Runnerless Mold where just a feed mark is seen, no additional after Machining . When you think of the large number of similar parts (your part) that have been produced there should be more problem parts around.
Generally I think you will find that parts are Injection molded in the color required or if necessary Spray Painted as some exterior Body Parts on the QQ. Most parts will be sourced externally molded, sprayed whatever by external Molding Companies - I hope this helps Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel

Post by Gel »

Look at this forum member's post on subject.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4388&p=48219&hilit ... ens#p48219
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Rab15, sorry but are we talking about Door Panel with a Textured Surface or a Clear Plastic Part ? Any chance of a Photo of the Defect - Thanks Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Rab15

Post by Rab15 »

good 01.jpg

bad 01.jpg

I am not sure if you can zoom in on the images but you can see the difference and the fact the bad panel looks courser and is when you feel it. I am taking it to a body shop to hopefully get their expert opinion on it, I need to get as much detail and help as possible before I do anything else as those I have approached so far will not do anything.
Rab15

Post by Rab15 »

Sorry the top pic is of a good panel the lower pic is the rough feel one...
Rab15

Post by Rab15 »

Dave thank you i cannot confess to fully understanding some of your tech quotes or moulding processes but you have lifted my spirits a little, cheers.
Gel no it is not clear parts, thanks.
You can even see a bit of difference in the lower picture where the panels are close together, you can see the bad panel because it is rough is more prominent.
So this is my dilemma, its rough and not easy to clean and I want Nissan to replace it, they don't accept there is anything wrong and wont accept responsibility that they fitted it.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Rab15, that is better now we can see which part you are refering to and where. When you enlarge the views you can see that the Top Pic (good) appears to have some horizontal scuff marks on it from rubbing together with something, but a fine finish. If you enlarge and make a comparison on the Bottom Pic the Left Panel looks to have a finer surface finish than the Right Panel. IMHO it could be that this part was manufactured from a different supplier or came from a different mold, but normally there are Nissan / Manufacturing Visual Quality Standards Set to accept parts, this could for example be on the Spec Limit but Passable - Dave :)