TPMS problem?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
glynv

Post by glynv »

I have a 64 plate J11 Qashqai. I suddenly received a low tyre pressure warning. On checking, cold tyre pressures were correct at 33/30 but TPMS read 3PSI low for all wheels. I tried calibrating the temperature according to the manual, no joy!
Has anybody seen this before, or have any ideas please.
Thanks
Glyn
N-Tec+ 1.2 CVT 2015

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Glynv, have you tried using the “Search” Area as there has recently been several posts on similiar subjects. Just enter “TPMS.......” and take a read, here is an example - Dave :)

viewtopic.php?f=28&hilit=TPMS%20Low%20P ... 8a2#p59126
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Tamtoot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tamtoot »

Glyn,

Apologies if you are already aware but the true on-road readings on the TPMS screen normally will not show until you've run the car for a few miles, letting the tyres heat up. Do you do any long runs..?
I had TPMS trouble on mine which were later found to be caused by the TPMS sensors being detached from the tyre valves and flying loose inside the tyres. Nissan did refit three of my TPMS sensor & valve units under warranty as I had already had one done.

If after you have had a good run and nothing changes, I'm sure others on the forum will be able to offer some kind assistance.
However if your MOT is due soon, you will have to get the TPMS units re-calibrated beforehand as it will fail with a TPMS warning light up.

Also have a read on the 'TPMS Warning Light' thread.

Regards
Tamtoot
glynv

Post by glynv »

Thanks to DaveBerlin and Tamtoot for replies.
Yes, I did search but could not find the same problem, and I know that it needs to run before reading.
My problem seems to be that the system consistently reads about 3PSI low on all wheels. It increases as you run and the tyres heat up as you would expect. Also it seemed to happen suddenly on all 4 wheels.
Regards
Glyn
N-Tec+ 1.2 CVT 2015
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

glynv wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:26 pm I have a 64 plate J11 Qashqai. I suddenly received a low tyre pressure warning. On checking, cold tyre pressures were correct at 33/30 but TPMS read 3PSI low for all wheels. I tried calibrating the temperature according to the manual, no joy!
Has anybody seen this before, or have any ideas please.
Thanks
Glyn
I had a low pressure warning a couple of weeks ago, nothing wrong with the tyre pressures so had to go to the dealer to have the warning reset
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
trout

Post by trout »

Pjp,how can you be sure there was nothing wrong with the tyre pressures?
I have several tyre pressure gauges of varying manufacture and cost, and everyone gives me a different reading.!
Mine was set for a full five people load when I bought it, there’s usually only the two of us so I reduced them to 33f and 30r.
When I start up from cold it shows 31f and 29r and it takes about five miles of driving before they show my desired pressures.
S.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

trout wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm Pjp,how can you be sure there was nothing wrong with the tyre pressures?
I have several tyre pressure gauges of varying manufacture and cost, and everyone gives me a different reading.!
Mine was set for a full five people load when I bought it, there’s usually only the two of us so I reduced them to 33f and 30r.
When I start up from cold it shows 31f and 29r and it takes about five miles of driving before they show my desired pressures.
S.
To be fair the tpms isn’t designed to give an accurate reading, it’s designed to indicate a loss in pressure that would compromise driving safety.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, your last comment is correct - Dave :)

1F65FBBA-5331-4124-A721-0BDC77F48D5B.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

So why does it indicate pressure in 1 psi increments instead of just saying ok or stop? I would say 1 psi increments is quite accurate myself. I have also checked the pressure from the tpms & its almost exactly the same as my hand held digital pressure gauge.
gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:42 pm
trout wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm Pjp,how can you be sure there was nothing wrong with the tyre pressures?
S.
To be fair the tpms isn’t designed to give an accurate reading, it’s designed to indicate a loss in pressure that would compromise driving safety.
trout

Post by trout »

My wife’s car has TPMS valves and they have only come on twice in the last 2.5 years, on both occasions one tyre was down by only 2psi.
As soon as I inflated it it went off, I think they are more accurate than you think.
If my tyres on the QQ show low pressures when stone cold but come up to the required pressures within five miles surely the valves must be pretty spot on?
S.