Steering Lock Engaged and Won’t Start

ICE, Equipment, Options
Mike_Leech
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Mike_Leech »

Hi all,

New to the forum and own a 2017 (67) Qashqai 1.2.

My partner accidentally double tapped the unlock button on the door handle this evening which seems to have caused an odd reaction. Once she got in the car the alarm went off, so she got out, turned that off, got back in and couldn’t start the car.

I’ve tried a few things (I’m an IT professional so of course I started with turning it on and off again) several times though to no avail. When you get in it asks for the clutch to be pressed and the start button engaged, though and you do this the symbol changes to a steering wheel with arrows up either side and the start button. The whole time the car does not start and the steering remains locked.

Any ideas . . . Helpppppppp

2DA51F1C-FBB9-4A6E-9E26-556DE54D9318.jpeg

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Just a thought, have you tried moving the steering wheel whilst keeping the start button pressed in?
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Mike, I tend to agree with gvmdaddy if the symbols mean what they seem to do, rotate the wheel and press the button (Clutch ?). I have tried looking up the symbols but have not found this one - Best of Luck with what gvmdaddy suggested Dave :)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

The only icon I can find in the Nissan Driver’s Guide app, similar to the one you’ve taken a picture of, is the one telling you to push ignition to off. Can’t see anything relating to the steering wheel icon :?

If you tap the icon in the app to find out more information, it states:
This warning will illuminate if the ignition is placed in the ACC position when the shift lever is moved to the P
(Park) position. To turn off the Push warning, place the ignition in the ON position and then in the LOCK position.

B4788E47-52EC-4B6A-B35F-43407BA8859D.jpeg

Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)
Mike_Leech

Post by Mike_Leech »

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. Nothing has worked so AA are on their way. A small light is also flashing which indicates NATS security system in the manual so my guess is the immobiliser has decided to permanently engage.

Will update later
chriseames

Post by chriseames »

Hi,

I had the problem this morning - Did the AA say what the problem is / how to fix it?

Thanks,

Chris
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I have had this problem. When I stopped the car at the time there were forces acting on the front wheels that I did not notice as the car has power assisted steering. When the engine power was off the wheels slowly moved & applied pressure to the steering wheel locking mechanism. I had to quite forcibly push the steering wheel to identify which side had the pressure and then push towards the pressure to take it away from the lock.

The car then started.

I would imagine this could be more of an issue when on uneven ground.
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

So what was the fix for this then ?
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Hudtay02

Post by Hudtay02 »

Hi I had the same issue today everything is locked up, steering wheel, start button, gears etc called service even tried the secondary key to try amd unfreeze everything, has this happened to anyone else and if so how has it been rectified, my car is being towed to dealership as we speak.
SLS

Post by SLS »

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum I own a Qashqai 2017 (67) 1.6 N Connecta petrol my first Nissan.
I have had the same problem as Mike_Leech, I was wondering what the outcome was and how was it fixed in the end was this a fault any help would be great. Thank you.