Turbo repair advice please

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
cobrachedz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by cobrachedz »

hi fellow QQ owners,

I have a 2007 1.5 Dci. its done just over 100k.

I've suspected the turbo hasn't been doing much for a while now, but was never sure, it certainly didn't have much ooompf.

a week ago, I was looking in the rear view mirror and notice a bit of smoke, so thinking the car hadn't had a good run for a while gave it a bit of a welly. It didn't accelerate at all and there was a distinct high pitched whinning noise linked to revving it.
I got it home very gingerly.
it now seriously lacks power and still makes the noise.

the noise occurs on revving, usually after a few mins of running the engine. it does it in neutral too. it gets louder the more I rev, starting around 2k.

I checked a few things....

the air filter was quite filthy so changed that.
oil was very black, almost inky...so changed that, flushed it, new filter.
new fuel filter.
new aux belt just because I was there.

after a few runs, its all the same, no power and whinning.

so, I had a local garage take a look and with not spending too much time on it, he is telling me the turbo is gone.

so, being a curious sort of fellow, I've decided to have a look. (armed with a Haynes manual and plenty of enthusiasm).

I've started to take the turbo out.....not there yet...but what I've found is the EGR is rather sooty, can't get it to open (not 100% if I'd be able to anyway)...so will clean that.

The air pipe that sits along the top of the turbo (the metal one shaped like a hockey stick, about 30mm diameter...is seriously caked with carbon and black goo. I would say 50% of its capacity is blocked. picture below I hope.

I suspect the oil feed to the turbo has also caked up, starving it of oil, wearing it out and allowing contamination of the main oil supply...but I'm guessing.

from what I've described can anyone advise if what I'm saying makes sense?

I think I can get a new turbo (refurb) for about £250 and have no labour costs, but would like to get some views before I spend all Saturday stripping it apart.

thanks

Graham

IMG_0638.JPG

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi cobrachedz,

Sounds like you have a very good idea what's probably wrong. It was a very common fault with my Mini cooper S, that the oil line to the turbo got hot and baked the oil, slowly blocking the line & killing the turbo. Mini eventually fitted a heat shield to the pipe when cars were serviced. This could be the same with your QQ. Your doing the right thing cleaning out all the pipes.

You should service your car every year IAW the manufacturer's service schedule, not only when the car starts becoming faulty.

Have you checked the turbo for endplay & float? Should be no endplay and maybe a couple of thou end float..

You sould probably take your intercooler off and clean that out also, it will probably be full of old oil.
cobrachedz

Post by cobrachedz »

I’ve not managed to get the turbo out yet......getting the cat unbolted is near impossible. The nuts are small, extremely hard to get to and seem to be made of cheese. I’m thinking seriously about cutting through the cat neck where it joins the turbo. Then when it’s all out, removing the flange and stump from the turbo and welding it back together.

These jobs are never easy.
cobrachedz

Post by cobrachedz »

Quick update for future searchers.....
I’ve got the turbo out, but it was extremely hard. Getting access to and undoing the cat bolts and the main turbo fixings is a real challenge. You need a wide range of tools, extensions, sockets etc. The nuts are all mega tight. The cat seems huge are very hard to work around.....not a job for anyone who’s not brave or foolhardy.....I’m both luckily.

The turbo is clearly faulty. There is about 1mm play on the shaft an the fins are worn from hitting the casing. I’ll post a picture later.

I’ll send it off for a refurb/exchange for about £225.

So seems I’m fixing the problem. Lesson is keep your oil changed as old oil wears the turbo bearing leading to exhaust gas getting into the oil and then more wear....then turbo failure.

I hope refitting is NOT the reverse of removal and is quite a bit simpler.

Will update

Cheers
cobrachedz

Post by cobrachedz »

Right all done.

Old turbo out.
Exchanged it in person with a company in Staines called London turbos, they use eBay but I went direct as fairly local.

Recon turbo cost me £210 and it came with the new studs and nuts and gaskets. Seems like a good service.

Fitting it was relatively simple.

I cleaned up the clogged pipes and egr valve. Also oil change, fuel filter, oil filter, aux belt.

Took me, on my own about 4 hours to refit and get car fully together.

It’s totally transformed the car. No more smoke, much much more power, at about 2k rpm it’s off like a rocket, I’m not sure the turbo has worked for years.

Also there was a lot of juddering when pulling away before but that’s gone too, I thought it was the clutch but seems turbo or perhaps air filter.

Anyway, the car was close to the scrap yard but £210 later and a fair bit of work it’s goodish as newish again.

If anyone has the same problem drop me a pm and I’d be happy to talk through.

G
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Good News,
take yourself down the pub for a well earned pint or two.

────────────────────░███░
───────────────────░█░░░█░
──────────────────░█░░░░░█░
─────────────────░█░░░░░█░
──────────░░░───░█░░░░░░█░
─────────░███░──░█░░░░░█░
───────░██░░░██░█░░░░░█░
──────░█░░█░░░░██░░░░░█░
────░██░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░
───░█░░░█░░░░░░░██░░░█░
──░█░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
──░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
──░█░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░█░░█░
─░█░░░█░░░░██░░░░░░█░░█░
─░█░░░░█░░░░░██░░░█░░░█░
─░█░█░░░█░░░░░░███░░░░█░
░█░░░█░░░██░░░░░█░░░░░█░
░█░░░░█░░░░█████░░░░░█░
░█░░░░░█░░░░░░░█░░░░░█░
░█░█░░░░██░░░░█░░░░░█░
─░█░█░░░░░████░░░░██░
─░█░░█░░░░░░░█░░██░█░
──░█░░██░░░██░░█░░░█░
───░██░░███░░██░█░░█░
────░██░░░███░░░█░░░█░
──────░███░░░░░░█░░░█░
──────░█░░░░░░░░█░░░█░
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
──────░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░

cobrachedz wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm Right all done.

Old turbo out.
Exchanged it in person with a company in Staines called London turbos, they use eBay but I went direct as fairly local.

Recon turbo cost me £210 and it came with the new studs and nuts and gaskets. Seems like a good service.

I cleaned up the clogged pipes and egr valve. Also oil change, fuel filter, oil filter, aux belt.

It’s totally transformed the car. No more smoke, much much more power, at about 2k rpm it’s off like a rocket, I’m not sure the turbo has worked for years.

Also there was a lot of juddering when pulling away before but that’s gone too, I thought it was the clutch but seems turbo or perhaps air filter.

Anyway, the car was close to the scrap yard but £210 later and a fair bit of work it’s goodish as newish again.

G
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

cobrachedz wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm Right all done.

Old turbo out.

G
Well done, glad you got it sorted out
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
davewuf
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by davewuf »

hi
have just read this post,did you work from the top or bottom to get the turbo out,also the metal pipe that was coked up,how does that come off,i can see it looks like it has a clip,do you push or pull,any advice would be appreciated,and any pictures too.
thanks dave