Black Box Insurance

The place to discuss everything else..
J0nnyb0i
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by J0nnyb0i »

AlleyCat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:52 pm Personally i wouldn't touch insurance of this type if i could avoid it.
If it was purely used for insurance purposes and i didn't think it would be used to "stack" the already loaded deck some more then I'd probably not be bothered.

My somewhat cynical mind believes that once it gets enough traction in the market place it will be a "wedge" device.

So Initially it will be for insurance.
Then it will be sold to marketing companies who will spamvertise you based on your travelling patterns.
Then the government will decide it's a wizard way of tracking people and insist it be retained under some variation of "RIPA" to protect us from "threat of the week".
Then it will be compulsory in all new cars even if the insurer you are with isn't using it.
O and finally it'll auto fine you for breaking the speed limits.

I wish i didn't half believe what i just typed.
I'll put my tinfoil hat back on now.. :)
I also wish I didn't believe what you've just typed here... But unfortunately I do.

Also @Dave, regarding your insurance, I would probably go with an insurance policy which does not use telematics/a "black box" if it were me personally because of the above reasons as well as the fact that I do not feel comfortable with insurance companies tracking my every move and where I'm driving at all times.

*However

If this does not really bother you, then a black box insurance might not be such a bad thing. If you are an OAP then it may actually give you some more peace of mind on the roads - not sure about Germany, but over here in the UK a lot of drivers are certainly unfair/too harsh on elderly drivers. One of my neighbours' parents were in quite a nasty motorway crash a few years ago, not at fault in any way whatsoever (also luckily neither of them sustained any serious injuries), and the other driver was apparently swearing her head off trying to blame my neighbour's dad.

A black box may just help you out if anyone thinks they can make fraudulent claims against you and get away with it because of your age, or if anyone tries to pull a crash for cash scheme on you etc.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well it looks like the Black Box & Big Brother is watching you scenario could be sooner than later supposedly by early 2019 - Dave :)

03CF9969-BF90-41E8-A7D0-2904C3BDFD05.jpeg

https://dailym.ai/2E40dxF
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

You may soon be tracked and monitored by your own CAR as firms work on systems to scrutinise everything you do - Dave 😉

https://mol.im/a/6803507
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Big Brother is coming to cars: Volvo will monitor drivers with cameras inside vehicles from early 2020s to check if they're drunk or distracted - Dave :)

https://mol.im/a/6831381
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

This has just hit the Headlines, here is the DM Version like it or not - Interesting Dave 🤨
Mercedes is caught in a row over privacy after admitting its cars are fitted with secret sensors which can pinpoint their location.
All new and used cars sold by Mercedes-Benz dealers are fitted with tracking devices. The firm sold more than 170,000 new cars in Britain alone last year.

Mercedes admits its cars are fitted with secret tracking sensor : https://mol.im/a/7373639
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

"... the company dominates the car leasing market" - I hardly think that's likely - "dominates" ?????
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

"... those who buy the cars on finance sign lengthy terms and conditions. These include a clause about the activation of ‘location sensors’ in bold print above where the customer signs.

Yesterday former Cabinet minister David Davis called on the Government to investigate the sensors.

He told The Sun: ‘This is not the first time big business has behaved like Big Brother – but it’s rare to be quite as deceitful as this. I have to question whether it is even legal to pass on information to other people such as bailiffs
."

How can something in the T+Cs be "deceitful"?

Yes - I DO read T+Cs when signing an agreement...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

The subject of the “Black Box” was mentioned at the beginning of this post, now it appears there is an incentive to get one installed as it supposedly saves you money, if you do not mind being monitored by Big Brother - Dave 🙂

“Motorists are throwing away up to £500 a year on car insurance as they are unaware they could pay less with a ‘black box’ installed in their vehicle. New research has found eight out of ten motorists are unaware they can benefit by fitting the gadget to their car – offering average annual savings on premiums of £200. The black box is a telematics device with motion sensors that detect hard acceleration, braking, sharp turning and speed limit violations”.

Eight in ten drivers don't know a black box can save them up to £500 : https://mol.im/a/7463931
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

“Drivers are being urged to take out so-called 'black box' car insurance, despite fears that inaccurate readings are actually increasing costs. Bad reviews of the black box policies have nearly doubled in two years, and more than 70 per cent of feedback in 2018 was negative, according to consumer site Smart Money People”. - Dave 🤨

Complaints soar about black boxes that help young drivers get insured : https://mol.im/a/7678069
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

So it does look like “Big Brother” is watching you as mentioned previously, unknown to many owners - Dave 😮

This point has arisen again this week regarding Stolen Vehicles. The ADAC (RAC / AA) have just carried out a check on a Mercedes B-Class and a Renault e-Zoe. The information found was that on the MB every 2 mins the GPS position, Kms driven, petrol useage, capacity in the tank, Tyre pressures were sent to the MB Server. Also the number of Kms driven in the City, on the Autobahn or on Normal Roads were recorded. When an MB B-Class is driven fast on the Autobahn from Berlin to Poland then MB are first to know - Stolen Vehicle for example but only used internally.
Renault uses a similiar System, but here also if the Battery is Rented and NOT paid for, they can Uncharge the Battery using the Mobil System downloaded in the vehicle. Here every 30 minutes Information is sent back to Renault in a Data Paket inc. GPS position and user Data.
The BMW 320d & i3 Models have been tested previously with similiar results. The comment was that virtually All “Premium Vehicle” Manufacturers are uses this system. This system could be used more often to track stolen vehicles but it is not used.