Fuel for 1.3 Dig-T PS140

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
kezzaa
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by kezzaa »

Hi all, the fuel tank on my QQ 1.3 Dig-T PS140 states it takes ‘Premium 95 Octane’ - a quick google and this seems to equate to good old regular unleaded

Is that what other drivers with this engine are using ?

Would I see any benefits from the 97/98 octane and more expensive super unleadeded ?
Tekna 1.3 Dig-T PS140 Gun Metal Grey 2019 - 2021
Tekna 1.3 MH 140 Manual Ceramic Grey & Pearl Black 2022 ->

Noddy1875
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Noddy1875 »

In a 1.3 I doubt that you will notice any difference with higher octane rated fuel. Maybe it will be "cleaner"

95 Ron is standard petrol, you'll be fine with that.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

To take advantage of high octane fuel the engine needs to have been fitted with an anti-knock device, this allows the ignition to be advanced by the engine's computer. My previous Mini Cooper S had this. Apparently, it's not instantaneous, the computer needs to learn / calibrate over a period of time.
kezzaa wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm Hi all, the fuel tank on my QQ 1.3 Dig-T PS140 states it takes ‘Premium 95 Octane’ - a quick google and this seems to equate to good old regular unleaded

Would I see any benefits from the 97/98 octane and more expensive super unleadeded ?
AlreadyWonB4
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by AlreadyWonB4 »

kezzaa wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm Hi all, the fuel tank on my QQ 1.3 Dig-T PS140 states it takes ‘Premium 95 Octane’ - a quick google and this seems to equate to good old regular unleaded

There is a such thing as Premium 95RON, I've seen in other countries but no so much in the UK. Even if you find one, I don't think the cost will be worth for 95RON alone when you can get a higher RON for perhaps the same price. It's basically the regular 95RON with better additives.

I believe they wanted this fuel to preserve the engine from carbon buildup and maintain performance. Quite sophisticated engine design and impressive performance we get from 95RON.

So far I've been using 99RON from Tesco because of higher octane rating and lower cost compared to other brand premiums. I've always noticed a small difference from previous (non turbocharged) vehicles with straight regular 95RON. Always did better mileage on higher octane because they've always picked up better from bottom rev range (less work) and run much smoother.

Since the 1.3 is turbocharged, there will be a noticeable performance difference from running with higher octane compared to naturally aspirated engines.

I've worked my own engines to see how cleaner and better they are on higher octane fuels whether its Shell, BP, Tesco, ESSO, you name it. Higher octane will always be good for the engine, so I don't see the reason why would you pay extra when you literally have a supermarket selling 99RON for cost effective performance.

Additives on the other hand matter and putting regular 95RON might put yourself in hot water with warranty if something goes wrong, mind you.

P.S. This my opinion and personal testimony. It's not the end and be all. Some might argue one fuel might be better than another, but truth to be told, it means nothing in real world with cars like Qashqai. Unless you have a high end performance engine with more than 300 horse power, then you have all the reason to micro manage these smaller details. RON rating matters for engine overall works, everything else is just whatever makes you sleep better at night.
69' QQ N-Connecta 1.3 @ 140 horse purr
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We have the 1,3L 160PS and are using Esso Super 95 (E5). Here are a couple of attachments which might be worth a read - Dave 😉
USA - 95 VS 98 Petrol: Are You Wasting Your Money on Premium Fuel? | Articles - Motorist : https://www.motorist.sg/article/96/95-vs-98-petrol-are-you-wasting-your-money-on-premium-fuel

What is the best fuel for my car? A guide to different fuel types | RAC Drive :
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/what-is-the-best-fuel-for-my-car-a-guide-to-different-fuel-types/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I have the 1,3L 160PS DCT QQ
I use supermarket unleaded (95 ron) a close friend who works for Exxon Mobil tells me there isn't a "real world" difference.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Noddy1875
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Noddy1875 »

MikeGC wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:07 am I have the 1,3L 160PS DCT QQ
I use supermarket unleaded (95 ron) a close friend who works for Exxon Mobil tells me there isn't a "real world" difference.
Now I have a close friend who drivers tankers & delivers fuel. He tells me the supermarket fuel has slightly more "cleaner" in it than normal petrol stations fuel. True or not, I don't know.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI