Gas strut length

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

I know there are many topics on the subject of gas struts in the search function but none that I could find helped me.

So what I am looking for is can any body tell me what the length of the gas struts used in there bonnet kit, the reason I ask is I have my kit but my strut appears to be to long.
All is fitted correct ( Bracket to bonnet and the ball nut in the correct hole but the strut does not meet up.
My strut measures 21inch
The bracket on the bonnet can not be adjusted to compensate and my bonnet will not push up ( Open ) any further
I have also noticed there are many different brackets being sold with these kits and think it might be the bracket rather than the strut size.

Any one fancy measuring there gas strut for me
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, give this a try this is most likely the problem “Compress the Cylinders” they should shorten enough - Dave 😉
If interested go to the “Group Buy: QQ ........”

B08245DC-D537-44C9-ADBF-BCD7135BEB63.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

DaveBerlin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 pm Terry, give this a try this is most likely the problem “Compress the Cylinders” they should shorten enough - Dave 😉
If interested go to the “Group Buy: QQ ........”

B08245DC-D537-44C9-ADBF-BCD7135BEB63.jpeg
Thanks Dave I did think of doing this but then I was afraid it may still try to push my Bonnet open to far thus then applying too much pressure on my Bonnet hinges.
I did try looking in the group buy but it is rather a little long so becomes difficult to pin point a certain topic such as this within it.

If I compress the Gas strut will it not just decompress once applied, so there for when I open the bonnet still trying to push the bonnet up (Open) the extra inch, or will it just simply stop at the required height?

Terry
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, had to wait for the light snow to clear 🌨 before measuring. If you look at the photo the dim‘n for the Cylinder Rod (Shiney Part) is 175cm from the plastic swivel part to the start of the Cylinder Body with the Bonnet Open. The Manufacturer is FENOX A901 024 464A which I believe is a Russian Part but I could not find the details of it - Dave 😉

0F18F4BD-CFBE-4330-8B4B-7457507A58ED.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel

Post by Gel »

Terry, I have same type as Dave has fitted, and in case not mentioned before the struts do not FULLY OPEN
the bonnet, nearly though.
The supplied <original> bonnet strut can stay in situ; it just needs to be bent a little, to make radius
shorter, so it can clip in as before.
Link may assist:
http://upory.ru/shop/38/desc/upory-dlja ... i-2014-n-v
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

DaveBerlin wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am Terry, had to wait for the light snow to clear 🌨 before measuring. If you look at the photo the dim‘n for the Cylinder Rod (Shiney Part) is 175cm from the plastic swivel part to the start of the Cylinder Body with the Bonnet Open. The Manufacturer is FENOX A901 024 464A which I believe is a Russian Part but I could not find the details of it - Dave 😉

0F18F4BD-CFBE-4330-8B4B-7457507A58ED.jpeg
Thanks for this looking at your picture my problem may be my bracket, it is different from the one you have and the shape of yours would give more room for the strut compared to mine.
I have returned my set and had a refund and now off to buy this Russian set.
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

Gel wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm Terry, I have same type as Dave has fitted, and in case not mentioned before the struts do not FULLY OPEN
the bonnet, nearly though.
The supplied <original> bonnet strut can stay in situ; it just needs to be bent a little, to make radius
shorter, so it can clip in as before.
Link may assist:
http://upory.ru/shop/38/desc/upory-dlja ... i-2014-n-v
Thanks for the link I already had this link http://pneumaticauto.com/checkout-2/ which is featured on the site your link leads to.
But I also have a 10% discount code :Coupon: pneumaq which I picked up from a Russian Qashqai forum,
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, just going back into the History. I originally had another Strut Kit (1st) from Russia with for example different brackets and I could not get this to work whatever I tried even with new parts, result completely Dumped.
The Forum Group Kit was like a Dream, it could just be thrown together and it worked - Dave :D
This is the 1st Kit Bracket :

P1070081.JPG

This is the Latest Forum Group Kit Bracket :

P1070269.JPG

If this is of any help please take a look it was knocked up when the Group Kit was in Progress :

img189.jpg

img190.jpg

img191.jpg

Partapradip

Post by Partapradip »

I know it's been a few years since this post, but if anyone else is looking for a way to measure their gas strut, I recommend using a digital ruler. There are several options available online, such as this one: https://ruler.оnl/. Just make sure to measure the strut from the center of each mounting point, and be sure to take into account any extra length from the end fittings. As for the issue of the strut being too long, the bracket may be the problem, as you mentioned. Have you tried reaching out to the manufacturer or supplier of the kit for guidance on how to resolve this issue? They may be able to provide more specific recommendations based on the type of kit you have.