Clutch/Flywheel Problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
beardyrod
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by beardyrod »

Has anybody experience of clutch/flywheel failures with the 1.6 ltr petrol manual. I had a failure at 6,100 miles when the car was 17 months old which was put down as the switch sticking. After some discussion this was repaired FOC. Recently a friend of mine with the same engine/gearbox and similar mileage and age also had a failure, his was replaced FOC without any problem, Nissan presumably being aware they have a problem.

At 14,301 miles my clutch is again showing every indication of failure and the car is now going back to my local Nissan dealer to be examined and repaired. Who pays will no doubt be the subject of much discussion, but clearly the clutch/flywheel appears not fit for purpose. I would point out that I have been driving over 50 years and have had many manual cars, none of which have ever had a similar problem. I'm not a happy bunny!!

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

What were the symptoms? Mine is booked in for this Friday because my clutch pedal has gone so heavy my leg/foot is in agony after even a short drive.

I had a long phone call with the Nissan warranty people to arm myself with knowledge before the inevitable argument with the dealer. "clutch friction materials" are not covered, but everything else mechanical is (springs, flywheel, master/slave cylinders, and so on). "Wear and tear" could be their get out, but it has to be acceptable wear and tear and clutches failing this young is not acceptable in my opinion.

I got a "just in case" quote from an independent, and full clutch/slave cylnder replacement parts + labour = £529, so nowhere near as bad as I feared as I think main dealers quote around £2000 !

(they usually defend themselves by saying "but we use genuine Nissan parts". If Nissan parts fail all the time, then I'd rather a better quality 3rd party anyway...)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
RickMaver47

Post by RickMaver47 »

I firmly believe the clutch is not suitable for the Qashqai.
My 2018 Tekna is the 2nd diesel I own in 5yrs.

The 1st one I got with +-22,000kms and there was already a shudder when pulling away.
The new one is approaching 19,000kms and I'm starting to notice a slight shudder again.

I've owned various cars before racking up over 100,000kms and never ever had clutch problems with any of them. Strange that only the Nissan's, which use the same clutch, are giving problems.
2018 Pearl White Nissan QQ 1.5DCi Tekna
northernbeat
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by northernbeat »

I have clutch judder when starting off in 1st and 2nd gear on my 66 plate Qashqai I.5 desiel. The main dealer from whom i bought the car (an undisclosed ex -rental) has asked for £700 + parts to repair the fault if it is deemed to be wear and tear or if no fault is found. Their technician drove the car and agreed there was a problem. The car has covered 21000 miles but has had the fault to varying degrees since i bought it , 7 months old, with 7000 miles on the clock. I have complained to Nissan Customer Service only to be told that i would have to guarantee payment in the above circumstances before work on the car could commence. If Nissan think that it is OK for there cars to have this kind of fault at 7000 miles then it says something about Nissan customer Services and the quality of their cars.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

northernbeat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 am I have clutch judder when starting off in 1st and 2nd gear on my 66 plate Qashqai I.5 desiel. The main dealer from whom i bought the car (an undisclosed ex -rental) has asked for £700 + parts to repair the fault if it is deemed to be wear and tear or if no fault is found. Their technician drove the car and agreed there was a problem. The car has covered 21000 miles but has had the fault to varying degrees since i bought it , 7 months old, with 7000 miles on the clock. I have complained to Nissan Customer Service only to be told that i would have to guarantee payment in the above circumstances before work on the car could commence. If Nissan think that it is OK for there cars to have this kind of fault at 7000 miles then it says something about Nissan customer Services and the quality of their cars.
The problem with the judder, it can be caused by poor driving - an inexperienced driver can damage a brand new clutch in 5 miles if they don't drive correctly. Being ex-rental, with probably a different driver every day, the chance of that happening has probably gone through the roof.

But that then leads to the situation that they sold you a car with a worn out clutch in the first place.

I'm not sure where we, as consumers, stand in that situation.
RickMaver47

Post by RickMaver47 »

chrisw99 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am The problem with the judder, it can be caused by poor driving - an inexperienced driver can damage a brand new clutch in 5 miles if they don't drive correctly. Being ex-rental, with probably a different driver every day, the chance of that happening has probably gone through the roof.

But that then leads to the situation that they sold you a car with a worn out clutch in the first place.

And therein lies the problem. Can try and fight the dealer, knowing full well that I've never caused a clutch to judder before ONLY the Nissan Qashqai, but I am unable to prove that.
2018 Pearl White Nissan QQ 1.5DCi Tekna
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

RickMaver47 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:41 am
chrisw99 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am The problem with the judder, it can be caused by poor driving - an inexperienced driver can damage a brand new clutch in 5 miles if they don't drive correctly. Being ex-rental, with probably a different driver every day, the chance of that happening has probably gone through the roof.

And therein lies the problem. Can try and fight the dealer, knowing full well that I've never caused a clutch to judder before ONLY the Nissan Qashqai, but I am unable to prove that.
I just don't know how they can get away with saying it's £700 just to take a look at it to see if it's wear and tear. Have they explained why that amount, or is it just some magic number they plucked out the air? There are no parts at this point, how much do they charge per hour for labour???

If an independent can replace the whole clutch for £500ish - including parts, then an independent can probably diagnose what is wrong with yours for a fraction of that.

I've just had a look at the Nissan Warranty handbook T&Cs... look at the bit in bold

If You wish to make a claim under the terms of Your warranty, please contact Your supplying Nissan dealer, or any VAT registered repairer to agree a suitable time for it to be inspected and repaired. If You cannot return the Vehicle to Your supplying Nissan dealer, We recommend that You contact another Nissan dealer to arrange repairs

So it doesn't have to be a Nissan dealer.
northernbeat

Post by northernbeat »

As far as i am aware the dealer does not currently have to disclose that a car is ex rental unless asked . I did ask the salesman twice about the previous owner and he ducked the question saying that it was a one owner car . He handled the road tax application so i new nothing about the Hertz ownership until the new log book arrived in the post. I complained to the dealer immediately but was assured that as there was 2 1/2 years left on the warranty, i had nothing to worry about. more fool i. Don' t forget this was a main Nissan dealership and not some backstreet dealer. I would say at this stage that my previous car a Toyota Corolla covered nearly 300,000 miles with one clutch replacement at 130,000 miles. The car was eventually sold to a new owner. I am not, nor never have been an abusive driver.The Qashqai is otherwise a good driving vehicle but my enjoyment driving it has been marred by the clutch issue and the off hand way i was treated by both the dealership and Nissan. You live and learn.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Well mine went in on Friday, and they confirmed the clutch pedal is heavy, but before they can begin to investigate they have to get an expert in from Nissan to confirm there is a fault - to eliminate dealers "pulling a fast one" and claiming for things they shouldn't be claiming for.

But then I got the same as you - once the expert confirms there is an issue and gives permission to work on the car, it will then be 5 hours labour (£700+) to get in there and see if there's a fault or it's wear and tear. If it's wear and tear it would be an additional £1080 for a new clutch. If it's a fault, they'd cover the £700.

Interestingly, once I was there I tried a few QQs in the showroom (brand new ) and on the forecourt (similar age), and all felt heavy to me, just as bad as mine. Possibly mine has damaged my knee/muscles now, so they all feel heavy. I got one of the salesmen to try mine as well as the one he had on sale, and he thought there was no difference (yet at the service they said "heavy clutch").

So, I'll let the Nissan expert come and take it for a ride and confirm there's a fault, then it may be letter writing time because no way am I paying £700 just to investigate and them tell me it's wear and tear. I'd rather pay the £529 for a totally new clutch from the independent.

In the meantime, I'll start working on some knee strengthening exercises!
northernbeat

Post by northernbeat »

Best of luck if you have to contact Nissan customer services. I tried this rout and found it a complete waste of time. Just confirmed the dealer position.
I believe that Nissan are fully aware of a clutch issue with the diesel Qashqai but as diesels are being phased out they simply wont admit it. The number of complaints on this forum alone speaks for itself. My car is still drivable, with care starting off, so I will drive on till it fails completely, or I change the vehicle, whatever comes first.