1.2 DIG-T engine trouble

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

This won’t help you I’m afraid, but it’s a good question you can ask at your Nissan garage.
We know that the QQ doesn’t have an oil level monitor, but it does have an oil pressure sensor and warning light, so just how low does the oil have to go to trigger the oil pressure warning. One would have assumed that if your car was so low to cause damage then the oil pressure warning should have shown at some point. My concern would be did it and was it overlooked or ignored.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Worth a read, but if you’re an aircraft mechanic you’ll most likely be aware of most of it, so I’d get the wife to read it instead :|
Hope you get it sorted.
https://www.aa1car.com/library/us1097.htm
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Oil levels need to be checked when the engine is cold or oil has drained to the bottom of the engine. If you get your oil level checked in this manner, then chances are it's now overfilled :( I guess you just cant win.
DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 am Some garages here Shell for example charge (€1 or small tip) for checking these basic points with filling up with petrol, this could be another way out.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just to add my 2ps worth...

My engine needed replacing last year due to the well known issue. I religiously checked my oil after I first got a 1.2 QQ and reading the posts on here. Never needed to top up - it was always bang on the MAX level every month. Went that way for 12 months.

Then it started dropping and needing a top up every now and again.

Then it got the rattle, and engine got replaced.

But - as I was on the ball with it, it never got low, probably never went anywhere below 60% of the min to max level, and it still developed the rattle.

So I don't think the rattle develops due to the oil getting low, it just happens over time and takes a few years. Loss of oil is just another symptom - not a cause.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

My advice is never put your car in without checking oil level and topping up then its their word against yours and onus is on them as these engines are well known...david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Levenrek
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Levenrek »

Number of vehicles involved, all over Europe

Look :
New Facebook group > engine failures Nissan & Renault 1.2
and website > engine-failures-nissan-renault dot org
ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

Nesh wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:42 am Hi,

So we recently took our car to the local Nissan dealer garage to have a look at it after developing a rattle. He found low oil, topped it up and told us we may have ruined the engine.

We had no oil level warning, no engine temperature warnings and had recently done 2x600+ mile trips at Christmas without issue (other than the rattle)

I've seen the post on the known issue but my engine falls outside this range, has anyone had any experience with Nissan accepting the fault as theirs even if not in the range? Or are their more than just those i found (link below)

We bought new and have full service history with Nissan, less than 3 years old and ~35k miles

Thanks for any help.

https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6787&p=57759
What's the update Nesh? I'm very surprised that the garage said 'you might have a ruined engine' then let you drive away with it without further steps to rectify the problem.

Hopefully you have been given a fix to the problem. Either a new timing chain or a new engine under warranty. just because your engine is outwith the range of 'affected' ones, doesn't mean it isn't present. I visit a facebook page dedicated to these renault engines and people with vehicles that are 18 plates have this issue.

If nothing has been done, call up Nissan GB or your finance company if it's a PCP, for example. Then they'll ask you to book it in for them to do the inspections. They take it from there.