Towing eye warning

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

I have always felt relieved to know of the towing eyes reclining in the boot, ready for use, no scrabbling under the car for a safe attachment point, until I carelessly got myself stuck in a good foot of powder snow last week. A welcome offer to pull me out by a large machine on very big tyres, and I discovered the hole to be screwed into was totally rusted and even with the jack handle, could only manage a useless one and a half turns of the total twelve required.
Back in the garage after some shovelling and pushing, I found it took an hour's work with WD40 and a breaker bar to screw each of the eyes home. This is after five years of salt, sand and mud lodging in the screw holes, so probably best, if you ever want to tow or be towed, to screw in the eyes once a year to keep things clearish. The correct size of tap would of course be much quicker... ;)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thrall, that is an interesting point Thanks for that information. Of course we do not live in Iceland but in Germany over the last weeks there has been tremendous snow falls down South in fact meters of the white stuff. Here in Berlin very little snow at present but the temps are down to -6*C, so thanks to you a little checking to do - Dave 👍 😁
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

Very good point this, this is one thing that just gets left until one day it is needed and as you found out it was set solid with rust,
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
trout

Post by trout »

Probably a good idea to smother the threads in grease ready for that awful day when you might need a tow.
S.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Thrall, today was 0*C but sunshine so I thought I would check the Eyebolt Mountings. What I found at the Front was that there is a Styropor Panel behind the Front Body Panel and leaves & other S--t was trapped there. The Threaded Bush sits much further back than the Rear and there is a Long (Front) & Short (Rear) Eyebolt available. Just gave the area a clean with a small brush, No Thread Rusting found then gave it a WD40 once over and Greased the Thread and tested the Eyebolt - result positive.
At the Rear much easier the Threaded Bush sits much closer to the Body Panel, same procedure carried out as the Front, much cleaner than the Front for obvious reasons.
Attached is a copy of the Manual Information but the Diagrams are shown wrongly, just added a few notes on this plus a couple of photos.
Thrall thanks again for the Heads Up well worth checking just in case this System is ever needed - hopefully Not Dave :D

Manual Info`:

IMG_4926.jpg

Front :

IMG_1811.jpg

Rear :

IMG_1813.jpg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken