Turbo advice

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Higg83
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Higg83 »

I need some help my q2 turbo has broke I only found out that the dpf filter was removed by another garage where I got the car from, would removing dpf have caused this

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Don’t know about the turbo, but if you’re in the UK you’d better get the dpf fitted again or it’s an instant MOT fail.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Looks like you should be rejecting the car as not legal when sold to you.

https://www.terraclean.co.uk/dpf-removal-bad-idea/

Why you should never remove your DPF

In short, it’s illegal – since 2014, it has been an MOT failure, and as of spring 2018, the MOT test is going to become much more stringent. The MOT DPF check has been flawed – it relies on a visual check only, and it can be difficult to tell if a DPF has been removed just by looking.

The Government has strengthened the MOT guidelines in a bid to improve checks for DPFs. Here is the new wording:

Anybody’s car with a removed DPF could face a fine, or a bill of potentially more than £1,000 to replace the part.

The internet is, of course, full of people who will tell you they’ve had their DPF removed and never had a problem, and there are plenty of companies advertising DPF removal and making it look like a viable solution to a clogged DPF. Don’t listen: they might not have had a problem before, but there’s a strong chance they’re getting caught out soon.

If you are buying a second-hand diesel car in the next couple of years, we strongly recommend you do so with extreme caution. Insist that it has a full 12-month MOT and ask if it’s had its DPF removed.

If you buy a car with no DPF, you could be facing a huge bill next time it requires an MOT.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... te-filters

Thousands of drivers have been caught driving without their diesel particulate filter, new figures reveal. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency has caught 1,800 drivers since 2014 driving with the pollution-reducing filter removed from their car.

While it’s not illegal to remove a car’s DPF, it is illegal to drive without it if one should be fitted. It’s believed some drivers whose DPFs become blocked are simply bypassing the filters by removing them rather than paying for a replacement, which typically costs around £1,000. In doing so, car drivers are risking a £1,000 fine, while the penalty for driving a van without a DPF stands at £2,500.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Higg83

Post by Higg83 »

I'm in Ireland we bought car and after a few hours dpf filter light came on it got stuck in regeneration mode.so the removed insides of filter and bypassed it now 18 months later turbo blows.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Well it's always useful to have the full information!

I haven't a clue as to the regulatory structure in Ireland so you'll have to research that yourself.

Also I'd assumed from what you said the turbo failure was close in date terms to the DPF removal. 18 months is a VERY long time for it to be consequential so I'd suggest you can rule that out completely.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Higg83

Post by Higg83 »

The law here states that it not illegal to remove it but it is illegal to drive with it removed and is also a NCT failure
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

https://dpfdublin.ie/nct-now-checking-dpf-systems/

"Another car fail NCT with DPF removed. So think twice before you remove DPF !!!"

Under English Law I believe you could still reject the car if it was sold to you with the DPF removed and not declared - less allowance for use over the time period. But the turbo failure complicates that!

However I'm unclear as to the conflict between: "...I only found out that the dpf filter was removed by another garage..." and "... after a few hours dpf filter light came on it got stuck in regeneration mode.so the removed insides of filter and bypassed it...". So you didn't know until recently? And the garage actually made the car unroadworthy after you'd bought it?

Sue !!!!!
Higg83

Post by Higg83 »

When the done it he said they took it out and cleans it that it's like a brand new car again. I took this as it was cleaned out. Not removed
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Its either been removed or it hasn't.
You had it done or it was done before you bought the car.
You cannot expect help on here if you cannot even tell us the true facts.
If its been removed then it needs replacing asap before your next MOT or it will fail.
If its still on the car then it may be faulty and need fixing or replacing.
Its omission or possible fault should not have affected the turbo. More likely that low oil level, degraded oil, or misuse is to blame for the turbo failing.
Higg83

Post by Higg83 »

Sorry It was removed by the garage.where I got it sorry for any confusion. I got the turbo stripped this evening there was a block in one oil pipes leading to they turbo