Valve caps metal.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
trout
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by trout »

Just a heads up, I bought some red anodised aluminium valve caps from Ali, look great.
But today removing them they have started to jam, I think it’s called Galvanic corrosion, three came off but I presently have one jammed solid.
Trying to hold the valve stem so as not to twist it off, but it won’t budge at all.
I’m going to try my Dremel and heat it up slightly as they show you on you tube, anyway point is keep to plastic covers only.
S.

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Steve, have you read this post : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2333&start=10&hilit=Valve+Caps

What you have is most probably not Steel most are made of Ally which does corrode. You can see my comment I have used these for years and the trick is to lubricate the internal thread and internal O Ring, do not over tighten, check regularly and I must admit I have never had a problem. If you grease too much you will see the grease flying on the wheels which I suppose is positive as you have applied enough grease. Be careful when removing by force as the TPMS Valves are expensive to replace - Dave 😉

DA35B2F0-4E7E-4F30-BDE5-4595DCE1209E.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
trout

Post by trout »

Yes aluminium as I said in my first post Dave, managed to gently cut it off with a dremmel tool.
Put the plastic ones back on.
S.
trout

Post by trout »

trout wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:17 pm Yes aluminium as I said in my first post Dave, managed to gently cut it off with a dremmel tool.
Put the plastic ones back on.
Didn’t have the time to do a search, but better to highlight it again for anyone else thinking of buying them.
S.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I had that problem on my Fabia, so nowadays I lubricate them before putting them on - the orange ones on the Ignis are fine.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

In addition to the mess, Dave mentions. One of the biggest problems with excess grease is it attracts/dirt/dust crud, call it what you want. This turns into a grinding paste or just jams stuff up.

On my mini it came with metal valve caps, they were really small (half the height of black plastic caps) and were made from what felt/looked like corrosion resistant steel. Just like this, just the job. Never got stuck and never corroded.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-Genu ... 0005.m1851
DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm If you grease too much you will see the grease flying on the wheels which I suppose is positive as you have applied enough grease.
trout

Post by trout »

Daewar wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:30 pm In addition to the mess, Dave mentions. One of the biggest problems with excess grease is it attracts/dirt/dust crud, call it what you want. This turns into a grinding paste or just jams stuff up.

On my mini it came with metal valve caps, they were really small (half the height of black plastic caps) and were made from what felt/looked like corrosion resistant steel. Just like this, just the job. Never got stuck and never corroded.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-Genu ... 0005.m1851
DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:57 pm If you grease too much you will see the grease flying on the wheels which I suppose is positive as you have applied enough grease.
Strange you mention that Daewar, it all began today because of a mini cap.
My grandson is in Turkey on business for three months, my daughter decided to give his newish Cooper SD a run, tyre moniter on the dash told her to check the pressures.
One was visually low and she tried to remove the steel Mini cap but it was seized, she took pliers to it, not realising they were TPMS valves. It snapped off and she rang me for advice, I was washing the QQ and decided to just check mine and Lo and behold I had a jammed one as well.
I’d never have known otherwise.
S.