Diesel - fact checking

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Fact checking
OK folks, I just want to check on some things I think I know about diesel engines.
As you can see from my signature I own a 1.5dci QQ. Runs as sweet as a nut, thanks to an 80 mile round trip three times a week.

Background
My partner currently owns a 0.9 petrol Micra in Tekna spec (“bought” under PCP) and she has had it for two years. The car runs superbly and mechanically fault free but she’s experienced the odd niggle here and there (heater/aircon; satnav; DAB; etc.). Her big complaint however, is with respect to customer service (it’s her background, so…). The upshot of all the complaints is that they want to take the car off her and start her on a new Micra. Leaving aside whether this makes sense (she thinks it does, so I’m supporting her). However, she hasn’t got used to the 0.9L turbo engine and its lack of low down grunt/torque.
She has had a Micra courtesy car for over a week and that has the 1.5dci engine, which she loves.
So, in her mind, she want to get a 1.5dci Micra Tekna.

Her journeys are mainly local, although her eldest son lives an approximate 20 mile drive away (Stockport to Congleton - some town, some dual carriageway, some fast A road). Another son lives in Salford (mainly motorway) and she has three sisters in Bury (mainly motorway) and they could start getting more visits too.
But my concerns still rest around possible dpf issues.

So here’s the fact check – does the collective wisdom of the diesel owners on this forum believe that a 40 mile round trip once or twice per month will be sufficient to keep the dpf healthy ??

My gut feeling is that it might not be enough.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I have that engine and to date since new(2014) have only done just under 20k miles; lots of short
journeys have not produced any known issues. :P

So Nissan's DPF design on the J11 made the dpf much more self sustaining than on the J10 models.

Before I bought I did check with the motoring correspondent Honest John, and he advised the
new dpf design adopted meant it shouldn't have issues.
I gather some current Jags/Land Rover diesels do have major dpf issues with the exhaust design being
the problem.
ie
See "Ingenious Solution" piece here:
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/hones ... 18-part-1/

A new Micra diesel will obviously now have to have AdBlue system; whether that'll
be problematic, we shall have to see.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

thanks Gel
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Gel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:36 pm A new Micra diesel will obviously now have to have AdBlue system; whether that'll
be problematic, we shall have to see.
Hmm...

The Qashqai diesel - with AdBlue - is EURO6D-Temp

The Micra diesel is EURO6C - so might not have AdBlue?

The lower powered petrol ones are EURO6C too - only the Dig-T ones are EURO6D-Temp.

Maybe smaller cars can achieve the emissions requirement without the technology?

Source - current downloadable Micra brochure
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

cheers Gloucester