1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I'd take it if I was you - clearly the service record is defective particularly since there's supposed to be a software fix for the engine problem that might have been missed.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

Desi16
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Desi16 »

I got mine sorted out and it was out of warranty. Call citizens advice they were fantastic and I quoted what they told me. It is a known fault! Citizens advice will give advice on your rights, including the credit card companies duty if you paid some on CC. I called the info line, I would have been at a loss without their help. Good luck
potter

Post by potter »

Greetings, new member here.

The post above by Desi16 is reassuring; had our 14 plate Qashqai in for a routine service today and was told that it requires a new engine!
It's only done 38,000 miles.

The guy at the dealership said that it's due to a known fault on the vehicle and as it was purchased from a Nissan dealer and has had all its services carried out there too, there is a very strong chance that Nissan will pay for it even though it is out of warranty. We're waiting to have this confirmed though...

Also, the oil consumption and rattling type noises were raised by us when it was being serviced in the past serviced and still under warranty so hopefully that will go in our favour..they told us at the time there was nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Have people had much luck getting Nissan to resolve this with vehicles that are out of warranty?

As I understand it, it's a manufacturing defect that has been present basically since the car left the factory, is this correct?

I'll be contacting Citizens Advice as suggested, and also thinking about getting an independent technical report to determine/prove if the fault has been present since manufacture, if Nissan decide to wash their hands of it and we want to take it further.

I'm very interested to hear about other peoples experiences with this, as you can imagine it's quite stressful.

Thanks.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

potter wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:41 pm
Also, the oil consumption and rattling type noises were raised by us when it was being serviced in the past serviced and still under warranty so hopefully that will go in our favour..they told us at the time there was nothing wrong with the vehicle.
If you pointed it out when in warranty, and it's a known fault that has been with your engine since day 1, they shouldn't have a leg to stand on in not replacing the engine.

You may have to raise your case to Nissan GB though if the dealer says no.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Rushy

Post by Rushy »

Hi new to the forum as found it googling oil loss...my Qashqai is showing this problem but is a 2016 66 plate 1.2 DIG-T.
On Saturday the battery failed and thankfully Nissan replaced it under the warranty so all good, except whilst I had the bonnet up yesterday thought I'd check the oil, and there was nothing on the dipstick worryingly. That's now nearly 4 L since it was serviced in August last year, and only covered about 5000 miles and it's about 1/2 way on the dipstick.
Then found this forum after googling it...read about the engine rattle and went for a test drive with the window open. Lo and behold at 2000 rpm a horrible metallic rattle coming from the engine bay.
Just rung Nissan and they have said top it up to full today, they've noted my mileage down and said book it in when done a 1000 miles and they will look at consumption and rattle...now expecting them to say needs new engine.

Posting this so people aware that this is still an ongoing problem with cars.
PS my car is not in the VIN range on the Technical Bulletin TB EM 15/05
My car has done 25000 miles
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Such a shame as it is a good looking car and we find it comfortable and easy to drive. Having this oil loss problem and the CVT problem hanging over our heads hasn't made owning the QQ a very pleasant experience though. Keep us informed of how you progress with your problem.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

66 plate so you're still under warranty I assume. I would book it in now, say you're not comfortable driving 1000 miles with that rattle.
A11MED

Post by A11MED »

I’ve got the 2017 spec QQ with the 1.2 petrol engine dig-t

3 or 4 moans later - I’m getting the engine replaced ...

Got a courtesy QQ higher to toy around with whilst I wait for the work to be carried out ..

I think it’s a result .. let’s see how I get on
A11MED

Post by A11MED »

Plus Ive been told Nissan is extending the warranty period to 5 years for this type of issues only ...
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

A11MED wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:33 am I’ve got the 2017 spec QQ with the 1.2 petrol engine dig-t

3 or 4 moans later - I’m getting the engine replaced ...

Got a courtesy QQ higher to toy around with whilst I wait for the work to be carried out ..

I think it’s a result .. let’s see how I get on
The worrying thing if 2017 models have this issue... Are the new replacement engines still at risk?