1.2 DIG-T - Oil loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Levenrek
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Levenrek »

Hi everybody,
if you have problems with 1.2 DIG-T (or Renault's 1.2 TCe), please join us at ;
Casse moteur Renault Nissan Facebook group
or go to our website ;
Casse moteur Renault the website
You will be able to share your (bad) experience and ha ve a look to a lot of other cases !!!

b34tn1k

Post by b34tn1k »

HI everyone,

I have a Qashqai from feb 2016 which is having the same problems. I live in Belgium and bought it new from the dealer for my wife. I came across this thread and thought I share my case. My VIN is just higher than the range mentioned in that oil consumption internal document, though it exactly describes the problem I am having with the car.

The dealer gave us general instructions when we picked the car up. However they forgot to metion that the engine has no oil level warning light.
He didn't mention a word about check your oil manually, which I think is rather weird taking in account the amount of oil problems this engine has in general. By the way, I haven't had to top up oil in any of my numerous previous cars.
Furthermore the dealer did not set the maintenance interval on the car's computer. The result is that my wife drove on and the car missed it's first maintenance. This I blame the dealer for. All the dealers I dealt with in my life contacted their clients when a new car they sold is due for maintenance and the client is not coming in.
I took the car to another dealer and they told me there is a open action for my car, which is called GE002 - H5FT Oil Consumtion. Now that seems to be the case. Unfortunatly the dealer never mentioned that to me as it is at the request of the customer only. At least that is what the other dealer told me.

Nissan, on the other hand, I blame because manual says the car has a oil level warning system according to the car's manual. There is nowhere written that the 1.2 dig-t engine is an exception. No word about it in the entire manual.
Nissan is now refusing to replace the engine under warranty, because of the missed maintenance. I am furious and looking into legal action now. Both towards Nissan for not mentioning the oil warning light not being there and towards the dealer for not delivering the car as they should.

I am very curious how this will end...
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

Facebook Group would be good, but I don't read French.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I thought I heard the rattle again when pulling away at weekend. This is 9 months and 7000 miles since I had the engine replaced.

Although back then it rattled every time I pulled away. Since I thought I heard it, I've pulled away a couple of hundred times and never heard it, so probably heard something else. I think once you've had something like this happen, the paranoia sets in....
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
jakedapeguk

Post by jakedapeguk »

Good to have read this !

I took mine in on friday, after a tapping/knocking noise appearing after a routine service and have been told I need a new engine !

They have told me it will be covered by warranty but they want to investigate how its happened in the first place :shrugs: .
Ironic they are talking to me about a change over, think I will be swerving another qashqui !
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Please advise how old it is.

(did you read ALL 61 pages?)
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Rushy

Post by Rushy »

Hi All, an update on my problems...reported the high oil loss and engine rattle to Nissan a month ago, and told to fill it up do a 1000 miles, and bring it in. Did this and took it in yesterday.
To be fair dealers have been very good so far, they reckon it's used about 1.7L in the 1000 miles, and agreed the engine rattle not good, so they said they will now start the warranty claim process, and it's to go in, when courtesy car available (wife needs an auto) in May for 2 days, and they will do a full investigation, but don't see a problem with it being sorted under warranty.

I guess the proof of the pudding will come when it's stripped down, but at least it's progressing at the moment.

Will provide an update next month when it's been in.
qqdriver

Post by qqdriver »

jerraymond wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:09 pm Hi Everyone,

I bought my 2014 QQ 1.2 DIG-T in Sep 16. On purchase I was advised there is a noise on start up as it hadn't been drove for a while. I naively ignored it.

Last May I contacted Nissan as the noise had got worse from the front of the car, Nissan gave it back to me and apparently no problem. I realised February this year it had been losing oil after figuring out it had been topped up 3 times in less then a year. Topped up in February, to then go to my MOT in July to tell me it is completely drained. He put 3 litres in to the car to bring it back up!

Since then it has dropped by half. I still have finance on the car and they haven't wanted to help me unless I can 'prove' the issue was there on purchase. Which quite clearly, since it was manufactured there has been!

Nissan Customer service was awful and said there was no problems, I now have it booked in to go into Nissan on Wednesday. The car is out of warranty by a year with Nissan, they are taking it in still - free of charge and giving me a courtesy car!

I have already spent £1500 in February on the car having the clutch and dual wheel fly mass replaced!

Jess
Hi Jess, what happened in the end? we have similar oil loss problem with our 15 plate QQ, bought from CarGiant in May 2018. We bought it outright without finance though, unfortunately. No noticeable noise/rattle yet. We live in London too, so I was wondering which garage you used? I rang a Nissan garage today, but they didn't offer to take the car. We're a bit stuck (and stressed!), so would really appreciate your advice on how you got it sorted.
Last edited by qqdriver on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
qqdriver

Post by qqdriver »

Hi all, we have similar oil loss problem with our 15 plate 1.2 Dig-T QQ, bought from CarGiant in May 2018. Seems to consume 1L approximately every 2000 miles at the moment (assuming it is 1L between min and max mark on dipstick?). No noticeable noise/rattle yet. Mileage now 50k. Our VIN falls into the range in the Nissan Tech Bulletin.

CarGiant are saying that they cannot help because we did not tell them about the oil loss within 6 months of purchase, even though I sent them the Nissan tech bulletin and have pointed out it is a manufacturing issue. Unfortunately, we didn't notice how bad the oil loss was until it was just over 6 months. CG are telling me to go to Nissan because there may be a recall notice.

I rang a Nissan garage today. They said that 2000 miles per litre is normal for these engines. I explained that I've never had to top up oil in any other car. They said I could book it in for diagnosis for £50, but he didn't think it would show anything. I'm worried that the oil loss will increase and it will develop the timing chain rattle.

I'd appreciate any advice on this e.g. should we take the garage's advice and ignore the problem? If not, what is the best way to get it resolved? It seems unfair the dealer (CarGiant) won't take responsibility for selling us a car with a known manufacturing issue. Thanks in advance. Someone mentioned that Nissan are extending the warranty from 3 to 5 years just for this engine issue. Is that true? If so, we are still under warranty.

N.B. Our QQ also has a couple of other issues i.e. the audio/entertainment system intermittently cutting out and sometimes rebooting (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7948&p=65876#p65876) - and a strange electrical squeal from the engine whenever the power is on (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3478&p=65879#p65879). Again, these have occurred ever since we bought the car, but unfortunately we only recognised them as faults and reported them to CG after the 6 month deadline, so they are telling us they will have to be fixed at our own expense.
m112

Post by m112 »

I have 15 plate but only 22k on the clock.

Apparently engines are covered for 5 years but car has to be serviced at nissan each year
Last edited by m112 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.