Air Con Service

Frequently Asked Questions
Noddy1875
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Noddy1875 »

gloucester wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:12 am Noddy1875 - you are being perverse in your interpretations. I said "external clean" specifically - and obviously - in respect of the "sealed system" - i.e. the refrigerant circuit itself.
I really couldn't give a toss at this point :shock:
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, I posted this Post recently and there did not appear to be a lot of interest in it. These new Carbon Filters should stop a lot more of the “S - - t” coming through from the front. What your’s show appears to be excessive, but you can see it is IMHO worthwhile changing it for a minimal extra cost, just checked our Service Book and ours has been changed for the last 3 years (last one now a Carbon Filter) - Dave 😉
Chris, I think you need to chase your Dealer and ask him to look at his Service Sheets. 🧐

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7964&p=63924&hilit ... ice#p63924
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just received in our Post Box an Ad. for a Co. called ATU which I suppose is the German equivalent of Halfords UK. There is a section regarding Air Con Servicing and I know that the new R1234yf is more expensive than the old R123a, but when you see it quoted Side by Side I was shocked - Dave 🤨
Air Con Service :
Change and completely Re-Fill with R123a = €69,99
Change and completely Re-Fill with the New R1234yf = €149,99
The other options offered were :
Air Con Desinfektion : Desinfektion Spray to get rid of the smells and Bacteria Problems = £9,99
Ozon Cleaning : deeper investigation for smells that affect Breathing Problems = €29,99
Air & Pollen Filters : remove, check, clean Air & Pollen Filters Areas and Replace = €19,99 (Normally €29,99)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Like I said earlier, the "Change and completely re-fill" is a con - it's a big machine full of the gas which sucks it out of your car, then fills it again. So if you were already 99% full, you aren't getting a re-gas you're getting 1% gas.

Imagine siphoning 49 litres of petrol from your tank into a bucket, adding 1 litre extra petrol from a pump, then putting it all back in and being charged for 50 litres worth not 1.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Chris,

I think you're missing the cost of the equipment, labour, taxes and everything else that sits at the back of any business, you're not just paying for the aircon fluid.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:46 pm Like I said earlier, the "Change and completely re-fill" is a con - it's a big machine full of the gas which sucks it out of your car, then fills it again. So if you were already 99% full, you aren't getting a re-gas you're getting 1% gas.

Imagine siphoning 49 litres of petrol from your tank into a bucket, adding 1 litre extra petrol from a pump, then putting it all back in and being charged for 50 litres worth not 1.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am Chris,

I think you're missing the cost of the equipment, labour, taxes and everything else that sits at the back of any business, you're not just paying for the aircon fluid.
Yeah, but there should be a baseline price + X for the amount of new gas. We could both go for a re-gas together and pay exactly the same price, when mine is 99% full already and yours 10% full.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Very true, but I guess most repair agents find it easiest to charge a flat fee and probably make a bit more cash in the process as most cars don't need a total fill, but a top-up.

I'm not sure, but maybe there is no top-up. Maybe all the fluid is replaced like you would with engine oil?
chrisw99 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:41 am
Daewar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am Chris,

Yeah, but there should be a baseline price + X for the amount of new gas. We could both go for a re-gas together and pay exactly the same price, when mine is 99% full already and yours 10% full.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:48 am Very true, but I guess most repair agents find it easiest to charge a flat fee and probably make a bit more cash in the process as most cars don't need a total fill, but a top-up.

I'm not sure, but maybe there is no top-up. Maybe all the fluid is replaced like you would with engine oil?
One of the times I've had a re-gas (at an independent) I was stood next to the machine chatting to one of the mechanics. It's a massive cylinder of gas, and it vacuums out your gas into the cylinder, then it pressurises and waits 40 mins to check for leaks, then it re-fills the gas + a bit of lubricant. A print out pops out saying how much gas was extracted, how much was refilled, and the results of the leak test.

In terms of labour charges, they connect two pipes to the valves on your aircon and press GO on the machine and do nothing else till it's done. A bit like a software update. Some of these garages are probably making triple on the labour charges, as the mechanic is probably doing a software update, an aircon regas, and an hours real work, yet customers are each charged 1hr labour.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

I thought this was interesting - Dave 😉

Hella : https://www.hella.com/techworld/au/Tech ... ties-2114/
Under point 3 you can enter your QQ facts for the Data.
Kev1nDonn
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Kev1nDonn »

I was told by ATS that the J11 QQ uses a gas that should last for 4 years. They added that Nissan generally recharges the gas as part of the third annual service. (I got 3 years free servicing when I bought my QQ & the air-con was recharged as part of that service). My QQ will be 5 years old in September and at the moment the air-con temp is 9c which is fine. I was also quoted £150 for a full recharge (not including cleaning the system - that is an extra cost).
Tekna 1.5 dci in Metallic Grey with Full Leather (Black) and Driver Assist Pack.