Keyless entry / security

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, never heard of this one being out here and Halfords is also not here. Interesting might be worth a follow up. Found some facts and a couple of videos - Thanks for the Tip Dave 😉
PS: also on Amazon here €79

https://www.streetwizeaccessories.com/C ... r-SWTRACK1

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Dave:
Halfords was never the goto car/bike bits place for me.

This reminds me of the earlier PI (private investigator) versions that had a website share. Some were linked to a China website(s)...just real dodgy.
Business friend of mine tracked his wife's (ex) odd excursions with something like that or perhaps more bespoke. This is a lot better with a simpler, less costly link to Google maps.

I might get one but will check the performance consensus, if I can find some. The GPS reception in the the car body is a bother (tin can wrapped effectively). Heated windscreen (mesh) might be a problem. But a cars glass roof is useful. Then GPS receiver sensitivity. All can add up to no positional info sent and apart from patchy mobile phone coverage. Unit placement would be pretty critical.

And hope the crooks don't have a vehicle size Faraday cage?

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
bobbycfc

Post by bobbycfc »

Have heard folk talk of just hardwiring an old iPhone in the boot on a cheap sim and using find my iPhone when needed.?

Son had a black box with his insurance which one benefit was it acts as a tracker. However these are simply a plug that goes into OBD socket. Crooks now know to check that panel almost as soon as they have pinched the car!

Have read of others adding security to the OBD panel to prevent easy access.....
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It looks to be v. useful. User Manual is here:

https://www.streetwizeaccessories.com/f ... ual-A6.pdf

Will need data SIM where GPRS continuous tracking is required. Is option thankfully.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I'd say that the above 2G variety is a re-badged one of the following. TKSTAR at about £27 delivered

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Persona ... 21216.html?

And a whole bunch of the 3G variety + plus magnetic case hold:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... _new_app=y
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

DaveBerlin wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:30 pm Qashowner, the problem is not the Function of the Key it is the stealing of the QQ. Have you read this attachment ? If yes you will see why so much has been posted on this subject. The problem is “Electronic Copying” of the Key whether it be keys laying at home or in your pocket. I think that because of the News, Police Comments, Plus all the deterents available - Biscuit Tins, Faraday Waller’s etc that there is a major problem, but obviously not in your eyes or you have misunderstood the problem- Dave 😉

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5973&p=64738&hilit=Mercedes#p64727
No Dave, I do see the problem, but there are 37.3million registered cars in England and Wales, and with 113,000 stolen last year, that equates to a 0.003% risk. Now, if it really was a big issue, do you not think insurance companies would jump on the band wagon and up the premiums for keyless cars?
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, you should have more data than me as I do not live in the UK, but when I read the facts it does appear to me that there is a problem (as here in Germany), it is also on the increase and the Insurance rates have fallen due to competition. I could of course be totally wrong but that is what I have read - Dave 😉

Just some examples of comments :
A new insurance claim is made every six minutes following car theft in the UK, prompting insurers to echo concerns over some keyless vehicles. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) said £376m was paid out by its members last year following vehicles being stolen, a 29% rise on 2017. While it has no data on what proportion of these were keyless vehicles it said thefts of these cars had risen. The ABI said the number of insurance claims for car thefts had risen by 12% to 56,000 in 2018 compared with 2017.
However, it suggested that the average vehicle insurance premium had fallen owing to competition in the market.
The resurgence in car crime is worrying. The record amounts paid to motorists by their insurers in part reflects the vulnerability of some cars to keyless relay theft.
We know that insurers are paying out more motor claims for theft, with the number of claims settled rising by 11% on last year. This partly reflects the widely reported growth in keyless car crime.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Have a look at this page, and Nissan are not even in the top 10 https://www.confused.com/on-the-road/sa ... s-revealed#
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Qashowner, I am fully aware of this but not really concerned that there are No Nissan’s in the Top 10 (basically all are expensive models anyway). But what I am concerned about is that my QQ is there when we need it and not being stripped down in pieces somewhere and that is the main reason for my interest on prevention - Dave 😏
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Always rely on the old mechanical methods like steering wheel locks and wheel clamps :D Or even a built in immobiliser