Steering centering issues

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
chips101
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by chips101 »

Good morning!

Pretty new first-time owner of a car, so please bear with me.

I recently had the steering rack changed under warranty and since then there's something "off" about my steering. When driving I notice two issues:
  • The steering requires more effort to turn left from the neutral position than it does to turn right. Using one finger to turn right is fairly easy, but to turn right is far more difficult
  • The steering doesn't quite come back to the centre when cranked to turn left or right, out of a junction or after a U-turn
I've taken the car in twice and I've been told that the issue is the wheel alignment and balancing which they've done twice, however it has not fixed the problem. Can anyone help with pinpointing to where the problem could lie?

Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention it is a 2016 Qashqai J11

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Hi,

The test usually is to be able to turn the power steering to full lock both ways with one finger...engine running. Try it with front end jacked up which eliminates wheels/brakes in the steering dynamic.

Unequal force to steer either way indicates a faulty steering box or a problem with steering components outwards to wheels. The new power steering unit should be free of any trapped air. Same as all hydraulic systems.

Wheel alignment is a static adjustment by laser or otherwise...you appear to have a problem with the steering dynamics. Possible damage to arms/links or stiffness in joints?

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta