1.5 Diesel white(ish) smoke

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Ati
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Ati »

Hi, new to forum and new to cars. Qashqai is my first car and definitely first diesel engine. I recently noticed there is white smoke, clearing up really quickly coming out the exhaust, for about 1/2 minutes of driving and going. It happens every couple of days, maybe 2 times a week. The car is usually warmed up when it happens. My question is if it is anything to worry about. It is the 1.5 Diesel acenta version with DPF (which I had problems with before) and 63k miles. My usual journey to work is either heavy traffic and sometimes a 7 mile run on motorway. I don't see any coolant or oil going down either.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Sounds like it may be DPF regen, but I don't think smokes any colour!
Tyson29
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Tyson29 »

Hi did you ever get to the bottom of that white smoke I have the exact same problem with 2010 1.5dci k9k +2 it's doing my head in I've changed fuel filter ,done timing .new turbo ,changed glow plugs cleaned egr valve and now I'm going to change the temperature sensor ,ive brought it to 4 different garages and none of them can solve it ,ive also done a decarb terraclean ,I've no fault codes ,and I've done live data on injectors and help would be great
Tyson29

Post by Tyson29 »

My symptoms were blue smoke so done the turbo ,then the smoke changed to whitish like yours never a problem starting hot or cold ,so just after about 1 or 2 minutes of driving it will smoke till it's up to temp then stops it might do it up to 3 or 4 times a week it's not using oil or coolent and drives perfect while its smoking then just stops when it's up to temp ,I did notice it does it more often if were doing short journeys and the car doesnt warm up and then when it does warm up its goin to smoke ,I hate diesel cars and I'm never buying one again ,their not worth the hassle,some people have told me it's the dpf doing a regeneration but I dont know i dont think it should do it this often
Tyson29

Post by Tyson29 »

Ati wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 am Hi, new to forum and new to cars. Qashqai is my first car and definitely first diesel engine. I recently noticed there is white smoke, clearing up really quickly coming out the exhaust, for about 1/2 minutes of driving and going. It happens every couple of days, maybe 2 times a week. The car is usually warmed up when it happens. My question is if it is anything to worry about. It is the 1.5 Diesel acenta version with DPF (which I had problems with before) and 63k miles. My usual journey to work is either heavy traffic and sometimes a 7 mile run on motorway. I don't see any coolant or oil going down either.
Ati

Post by Ati »

Tyson29 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 am Hi did you ever get to the bottom of that white smoke I have the exact same problem with 2010 1.5dci k9k +2 it's doing my head in I've changed fuel filter ,done timing .new turbo ,changed glow plugs cleaned egr valve and now I'm going to change the temperature sensor ,ive brought it to 4 different garages and none of them can solve it ,ive also done a decarb terraclean ,I've no fault codes ,and I've done live data on injectors and help would be great
Yes, it ended up that I had a faulty DPF and it did not regenerate properly. Luckily it was dealership fault and swaped it over. No problem since.
Tyson29

Post by Tyson29 »

Thanks for the reply ,I cant believe that, the dpf been replaced stops all the random smoke your lucky dealer covered it was the dpf just knackered or would it getting cleaned have fixed it
Ati

Post by Ati »

Tyson29 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:35 am Thanks for the reply ,I cant believe that, the dpf been replaced stops all the random smoke your lucky dealer covered it was the dpf just knackered or would it getting cleaned have fixed it
It has been cleaned before but no luck. Not sure how the car was used before I bought it but DPF went after 65k miles, now I take extra care and use motorways as much as possible.
Nader

Post by Nader »

Hi there, I bought a 2011 1.5 dsi Qashqai recently, after a month of small journey driving I noticed there is white smoke comes suddenly and clearing up quickly coming out the exhaust, for about 1/2 minutes of driving and going. It happens every couple of days, maybe 2 times a week. The car is usually warmed up when it happens. My question is if it is anything to worry about. It is the 1.5 Diesel acenta version with DPF and 125k miles. My usual journey to work is a heavy traffic 5miles journey.
Thanks
Oily Rag

Post by Oily Rag »

Sounds like dpf regen. Scanning dpf data will tell you latest regen and status.