Air Con Recharge Frequency Question

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Warranty stuff:
Have they at anytime said its a problem you caused? Like at the the first occurrence of this.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

calnorth wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm Warranty stuff:
Have they at anytime said its a problem you caused? Like at the the first occurrence of this.
Hi,

No they have never said it was either my fault or the AC that was faulty, they said it just needed regassing (this was 10 months ago)

Thanks you
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Certainly is a faulty AC system.
It must be very slowly leaking. The first candidates would be any of the pipe joints or damaged units. They have a specific procedure for this and multiple "topping up" at vast expense isn't part of it. Thats a lazy approach

Since its the second time alarm bells should be ringing. The system needs to be flushed and subject to a 24 hour vacuum test or longer. Offending item replaced, vacuum test again. Then gassing procedure.

Get a 2nd opinion to which the extended warranty insurer would recognise. Should be any VAT registered garage qualified for Aircon/Refrig if memory serves.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

As regards fixing Aircon gas leaks... below is a US vid on the very subject:

He refers to R12 (Freon Gas) which is banned due to its earlier destruction of the planets ozone layer...apparently. Gas handling regulations are strict and only qualified competents should do AirCon/Refrig work...hey ho. The use of an indicator dye (uv responder) is interesting particularly for the really difficult leaks to detect.

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

The above post shows small gas recharge bottles...see Halfords at £130 a throw below. Didn't know this (so expensive) stuff was on sale like that and if you read the description it actually does contain the uv related leak detection dye...useful I'd say:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/air-con/stp-r-1234yf-air-con-recharge
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
nicenswift

Post by nicenswift »

Hi, I have spoken to the Nissan dealer and they have said the following.

The only way to test the aircon system is to try and regas it, if it takes the gas they will charge me £150 if it fails then obviously it has a fault.

They also said that we need to use the Aircon for at least 20 mins a week wether on cold or hot or it will evaporate ?

Many thanks for your thoughts
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

nicenswift wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am Hi, I have spoken to the Nissan dealer and they have said the following.

The only way to test the aircon system is to try and regas it, if it takes the gas they will charge me £150 if it fails then obviously it has a fault.

They also said that we need to use the Aircon for at least 20 mins a week wether on cold or hot or it will evaporate ?

Many thanks for your thoughts
You could argue if they did it 10 months ago, then it failed to take the gas as it should be lasting many years.

Yes, it needs to be on 20 mins a week. The gas contains a lubricant which keeps the rubber seals supple. Don't use the AC and these dry out and crack a bit and can cause the gas to evaporate out through the cracks.

AC should be left on permanently to be honest.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

You said earlier "I have had many other makes of car with AC and dont recall ever having to regas them".
Same here.

Re-gas is not a valid test unless as shown above as partial with a dye. Is quick fix with little confidence.

They should be periodically run to circulate the lubricant at least. Usually the A/C auto initiates on windscreen defog. No advisory exists in the handbook about weekly runs.

Can you ask them if they re-gas with a dye so that any leak now or in the future can be easily detected? Thats called ease of maintenance.

There exists a theory that the seals can dry out. However, I don't think thats a fast process with non rubber type seals and some of the system is double sealed.

Who is the dealer?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

calnorth wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am
They should be periodically run to circulate the lubricant at least. Usually the A/C auto initiates on windscreen defog. No advisory exists in the handbook about weekly runs.
Actually, it does...

Capture.JPG

Although 10 mins a month is different to 20 mins a week, the handbook does inform you that you will damage the system if you don't ever run it.

This is the first car where I've never had AC problems, and it's also the first one I just leave AC on 24/7.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

chrisw99 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 am
calnorth wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am
Actually, it does...

Capture.JPG

Although 10 mins a month is different to 20 mins a week, the handbook does inform you that you will damage the system if you don't ever run it.

This is the first car where I've never had AC problems, and it's also the first one I just leave AC on 24/7.
ooops...missed that 10 min/pm stuff. I'll' need to put a reminder in my phone...nah!
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta